News Briefs and Campus Calendar

SCREENWRITING: UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL
Dr. Paul Lazarus, Director of the University of Miami’s prestigious Motion Picture Program will work one-on-one to assist you in planning, outlining, and beginning your feature-length screenplay as a online class. The course will hold two mandatory class meeting (May 11, 12) and one optional class (August 3) at the UM campus, the remainder of the class will be held on-line, using Final Draft Software.
This can be taken as a college 3-credit course or as a non-credit opportunity. Registration begins April 8. For more information and to find out how to register e-mail carol@miami.edu or call Carol Wilson at 305-284-4411.

HORIZON COUNSELOR
The UM Multicultural Student Affairs (MSA) Office is recruiting a select number of responsible and spirited students to become Horizons Counselors. The Horizons Program compliments the University’s new student orientation program by presenting students of African, Hispanic, Asian and Native American decent with a preview of campus life. The Horizons Program will introduce ethnically diverse freshmen and transfers to the surrounding community and its vast resources. Horizons counselors will also have an opportunity to meet and interact with freshman and transfer students. This is a great leadership opportunity in which you will serve as a role model for students new to the university.
Applications are available at MSA, Building 21-P and are due by April 12, 2002. If you are selected, you will be notified via email by April 15, 2002. For more information contact Nanette Vega, Assistant Director at 305.284.2855 or email nvega@miami.edu mailto:nvega@miami.edu.

UM STUDENT APPEARS ON OPRAH
Jenna Edwards, a junior at the School of Communication and the 2001 Miss UM runner-up, was on the Oprah Winfrey show on Monday, April 1 to talk about her Queen for a Day program. The program raises the self-esteem of girls with cancer by having volunteers visit local hospitals and do the girls’ hair, nails and make-up and then crown them “Queens for a Day” using actual tiaras donated by pageant winners from around the country. The program has branched out to seven chapters around the country and recently
received a $10,000 donation from the Oprah Miracle Network. The show aired at 4 p.m. on WFOR-CBS4.

ANNUAL GREEK COMMUNITY APPLE
POLISHING CEREMONY
The Annual Apple Polishing Ceremony which honors outstanding students, professors, and administrators will take place April 16th 2002 at the Faculty Club.
At this year’s awards more than twenty faculty nominees are being honored as well as more than fifty students.
Also, a new award which honors student’s with the greatest improvement in GPA is being added to the program. Among the guest speakers at this years event is UM’s President, Donna E. Shalala.
For more information please call the Dean of Students Office at 305-284-5353.

WORKS OF MICHELANGELO ON DISPLAY AT SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE
School of Architecture students will display dozens of drawings and models inspired by the Renaissance figure Michelangelo through April 18 at the School of Architecture Gallery. The School of Architecture Gallery is free and open to the public 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

APRIL IS NATIONAL STI AWARENESS MONTH
The Wellness Center will be distributing condoms and educational information in the Breezeway every Thursday during April between 11-a.m.-1p.m. to celebrate national STI Month. For more information on STI’s or condoms distribution, please contact 305-284-6524.

MENINGITIS VACCINATION CLINICS OFFERED IN BREEZEWAY
Student Health Center will be offering meningitis vaccinations in the Breezeway throughout the month of April for $49.99 (compared to the regular price of $70). Clinics are scheduled for April 11, April 18, and April 25 between 11:30a.m. to 1:30p.m. Cash or check will be accepted at the breezeway Clinics. Vaccines will be offered at the Student Health Center throughout the month of April for students who can not attend clinics.

Today
Fri Groove

Happy Hour at the RAT, 4:30p.m.-8p.m., DJ

Opening ceremonies mark the beginning of International Week at 12p.m. and include a preview of events. This annual, week-long event provides international students with an opportunity to share their culture with the University of Miami community through international cuisine, dances and other performances, and information on other countries and cultures. International Week culminates with a banquet and awards ceremony. Opening ceremonies are open to the University of Miami community. and are sponsored by the Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO). For more information please contact COISO at coiso@miami.edu or at (305) 284-3548.

As part of International week C.O.I.S.O & Lambda Theta Phi Fraternity Inc. presents International Week’s South Beach Blowout at Senior Frog’s on South Beach. It’s 18 & over and doors open at 10p.m. For more information call 305-595-5683.

Holocaust remembrance week Shabbath, join us tonight for a special Shabbat service at Hillel beginning at 6:00 p.m.

The brotherhood of Sigma Alpha Mu are holding a week long competition to raise money for their philanthropy, “Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation.” Opening ceremony is today at 6:30p.m. at the Rock with special guest speaker President Shalala who will cut the Red Ribbon.

Sun April 7
A trip to the holocaust memorial on Miami Beach is planned for today. Carpooling leaves Hillel at 5p.m.

Craig Little is giving keynotes asking Greeks to reflect on the reasons they went Greek and what they each have gained because of their decision at 1p.m. in the UC today. For more information, contact Scott Horowitz, Association of Greek Letter Organizations Chair at witzer5380@yahoo.com.

Mon April 8
Holocaust survivors share their stories at the following locations: Dr. Callender’s Apt. in Hecht, Dr. Barber’s Apt. in Standford, Pearson classroom 101, Flamingo Ballroom D and the Law School. A memorial will follow afterwards on The Rock. For more information call Jamie Kaminetsky at 305-665-6948.

Sign-up for Tower Housing

COISO elections: All enrolled international students can vote in the Council of International Students and Organizations’ elections for the 2002-2003 Executive Board, i.e., COISO President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. Elections on the Patio from 11a.m.- 2p.m.

Registration begins for Fall 2002

Solutions invites you attend a discussion of Notes from Underground, a short novel by Fyodor Dostoevsky. The event will take place tonight from 7 to 9 PM in Apartment 137, Pearson. Our special guest will be Dr. Amie Thomasson, Assistant Professor of Philosophy. Copies of the book are currently available for $1.50 each at the University Bookstore, on a green table near the bestsellers. Please email ofthekosmos@aol.com with any questions.

Tues April 9
In accordance with Holocaust Remembrance Week there will be reading of names of Holocaust Victims from 12-2p.m. at The Rock.