Sports Briefs

SWIMMING AND DIVING

The University of Miami placed swimmer Manon Van Rooijen and divers Michelle Davidson and Katie Beth Bryant on the Women’s All America Swimming & Diving Team for the 2001-2002 season. Van Rooijen, the 2002 Big East Outstanding Women’s Swimmer, placed sixth in both the 100- and 200-yard freestyle events at the championship meet in Austin, Texas this past weekend. The sophomore from Westdorpe, Holland currently holds two individual school records and three records in the relay events. The 2002 Men’s NCAA Swimming & Diving Championships are scheduled for March 28-30 at the Gabrielsen Natatorium on the campus of the University of Georgia in Athens. Miami will send four divers to the competition including senior Imre Lengyel, senior Stefan Ahrens, junior Kyle Prandi and freshman Miguel Velazquez.

MEN’S
BASKETBALL

The Miami Hurricanes finished the 2001-2002 season ranked 21st in both the Associated Press and ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll. The Hurricanes finished the season with a 24-8 record, and a 10-6 mark in the Big East, which was good enough to earn them their fourth NCAA Tournament Appearance in the last five years. The NCAA berth also marked the ninth time Head Coach Perry Clark has guided one of his teams to the postseason in his 13 years of the coaching. The Hurricanes were upset by 12th seeded Missouri 93-80 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

WOMEN’S ROWING

University of Miami varsity women’s rowing won four of five races vs. UCF, Connecticut and West Virginia on Saturday at the Hurricanes’ home course on Indian Creek in Miami Beach. The women’s varsity eight, , opened the days racing with a first-place finish over Connecticut (7:30.65) and West Virginia (7:41.71) with a time of 7:22.75. In the last race of the day the UM varsity eight (7:09.54) came away with another first-place finish over West Virginia (7:10.88), UCF (7:21.42) and UM (JV) 7:30.54. The Miami junior varsity eight defeated UConn head-to-head by a time of 7:39.29 to the Huskies’ 7:50.29.
The Hurricanes will next row at the San Diego (CA) Crew Classic, April 6 and 7.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...