Sports Briefs

SWIMMING AND DIVING

The University of Miami placed swimmer Manon Van Rooijen and divers Michelle Davidson and Katie Beth Bryant on the Women’s All America Swimming & Diving Team for the 2001-2002 season. Van Rooijen, the 2002 Big East Outstanding Women’s Swimmer, placed sixth in both the 100- and 200-yard freestyle events at the championship meet in Austin, Texas this past weekend. The sophomore from Westdorpe, Holland currently holds two individual school records and three records in the relay events. The 2002 Men’s NCAA Swimming & Diving Championships are scheduled for March 28-30 at the Gabrielsen Natatorium on the campus of the University of Georgia in Athens. Miami will send four divers to the competition including senior Imre Lengyel, senior Stefan Ahrens, junior Kyle Prandi and freshman Miguel Velazquez.

MEN’S
BASKETBALL

The Miami Hurricanes finished the 2001-2002 season ranked 21st in both the Associated Press and ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll. The Hurricanes finished the season with a 24-8 record, and a 10-6 mark in the Big East, which was good enough to earn them their fourth NCAA Tournament Appearance in the last five years. The NCAA berth also marked the ninth time Head Coach Perry Clark has guided one of his teams to the postseason in his 13 years of the coaching. The Hurricanes were upset by 12th seeded Missouri 93-80 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

WOMEN’S ROWING

University of Miami varsity women’s rowing won four of five races vs. UCF, Connecticut and West Virginia on Saturday at the Hurricanes’ home course on Indian Creek in Miami Beach. The women’s varsity eight, , opened the days racing with a first-place finish over Connecticut (7:30.65) and West Virginia (7:41.71) with a time of 7:22.75. In the last race of the day the UM varsity eight (7:09.54) came away with another first-place finish over West Virginia (7:10.88), UCF (7:21.42) and UM (JV) 7:30.54. The Miami junior varsity eight defeated UConn head-to-head by a time of 7:39.29 to the Huskies’ 7:50.29.
The Hurricanes will next row at the San Diego (CA) Crew Classic, April 6 and 7.

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big matc ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

UM women's soccer blows past UTRGV, 4-0. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...