Sports Briefs

SWIMMING AND DIVING

The University of Miami placed swimmer Manon Van Rooijen and divers Michelle Davidson and Katie Beth Bryant on the Women’s All America Swimming & Diving Team for the 2001-2002 season. Van Rooijen, the 2002 Big East Outstanding Women’s Swimmer, placed sixth in both the 100- and 200-yard freestyle events at the championship meet in Austin, Texas this past weekend. The sophomore from Westdorpe, Holland currently holds two individual school records and three records in the relay events. The 2002 Men’s NCAA Swimming & Diving Championships are scheduled for March 28-30 at the Gabrielsen Natatorium on the campus of the University of Georgia in Athens. Miami will send four divers to the competition including senior Imre Lengyel, senior Stefan Ahrens, junior Kyle Prandi and freshman Miguel Velazquez.

MEN’S
BASKETBALL

The Miami Hurricanes finished the 2001-2002 season ranked 21st in both the Associated Press and ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll. The Hurricanes finished the season with a 24-8 record, and a 10-6 mark in the Big East, which was good enough to earn them their fourth NCAA Tournament Appearance in the last five years. The NCAA berth also marked the ninth time Head Coach Perry Clark has guided one of his teams to the postseason in his 13 years of the coaching. The Hurricanes were upset by 12th seeded Missouri 93-80 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

WOMEN’S ROWING

University of Miami varsity women’s rowing won four of five races vs. UCF, Connecticut and West Virginia on Saturday at the Hurricanes’ home course on Indian Creek in Miami Beach. The women’s varsity eight, , opened the days racing with a first-place finish over Connecticut (7:30.65) and West Virginia (7:41.71) with a time of 7:22.75. In the last race of the day the UM varsity eight (7:09.54) came away with another first-place finish over West Virginia (7:10.88), UCF (7:21.42) and UM (JV) 7:30.54. The Miami junior varsity eight defeated UConn head-to-head by a time of 7:39.29 to the Huskies’ 7:50.29.
The Hurricanes will next row at the San Diego (CA) Crew Classic, April 6 and 7.

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...