Sports Briefs

SWIMMING AND DIVING

The University of Miami placed swimmer Manon Van Rooijen and divers Michelle Davidson and Katie Beth Bryant on the Women’s All America Swimming & Diving Team for the 2001-2002 season. Van Rooijen, the 2002 Big East Outstanding Women’s Swimmer, placed sixth in both the 100- and 200-yard freestyle events at the championship meet in Austin, Texas this past weekend. The sophomore from Westdorpe, Holland currently holds two individual school records and three records in the relay events. The 2002 Men’s NCAA Swimming & Diving Championships are scheduled for March 28-30 at the Gabrielsen Natatorium on the campus of the University of Georgia in Athens. Miami will send four divers to the competition including senior Imre Lengyel, senior Stefan Ahrens, junior Kyle Prandi and freshman Miguel Velazquez.

MEN’S
BASKETBALL

The Miami Hurricanes finished the 2001-2002 season ranked 21st in both the Associated Press and ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll. The Hurricanes finished the season with a 24-8 record, and a 10-6 mark in the Big East, which was good enough to earn them their fourth NCAA Tournament Appearance in the last five years. The NCAA berth also marked the ninth time Head Coach Perry Clark has guided one of his teams to the postseason in his 13 years of the coaching. The Hurricanes were upset by 12th seeded Missouri 93-80 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

WOMEN’S ROWING

University of Miami varsity women’s rowing won four of five races vs. UCF, Connecticut and West Virginia on Saturday at the Hurricanes’ home course on Indian Creek in Miami Beach. The women’s varsity eight, , opened the days racing with a first-place finish over Connecticut (7:30.65) and West Virginia (7:41.71) with a time of 7:22.75. In the last race of the day the UM varsity eight (7:09.54) came away with another first-place finish over West Virginia (7:10.88), UCF (7:21.42) and UM (JV) 7:30.54. The Miami junior varsity eight defeated UConn head-to-head by a time of 7:39.29 to the Huskies’ 7:50.29.
The Hurricanes will next row at the San Diego (CA) Crew Classic, April 6 and 7.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...