Sports Briefs

SWIMMING AND DIVING

The University of Miami placed swimmer Manon Van Rooijen and divers Michelle Davidson and Katie Beth Bryant on the Women’s All America Swimming & Diving Team for the 2001-2002 season. Van Rooijen, the 2002 Big East Outstanding Women’s Swimmer, placed sixth in both the 100- and 200-yard freestyle events at the championship meet in Austin, Texas this past weekend. The sophomore from Westdorpe, Holland currently holds two individual school records and three records in the relay events. The 2002 Men’s NCAA Swimming & Diving Championships are scheduled for March 28-30 at the Gabrielsen Natatorium on the campus of the University of Georgia in Athens. Miami will send four divers to the competition including senior Imre Lengyel, senior Stefan Ahrens, junior Kyle Prandi and freshman Miguel Velazquez.

MEN’S
BASKETBALL

The Miami Hurricanes finished the 2001-2002 season ranked 21st in both the Associated Press and ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll. The Hurricanes finished the season with a 24-8 record, and a 10-6 mark in the Big East, which was good enough to earn them their fourth NCAA Tournament Appearance in the last five years. The NCAA berth also marked the ninth time Head Coach Perry Clark has guided one of his teams to the postseason in his 13 years of the coaching. The Hurricanes were upset by 12th seeded Missouri 93-80 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

WOMEN’S ROWING

University of Miami varsity women’s rowing won four of five races vs. UCF, Connecticut and West Virginia on Saturday at the Hurricanes’ home course on Indian Creek in Miami Beach. The women’s varsity eight, , opened the days racing with a first-place finish over Connecticut (7:30.65) and West Virginia (7:41.71) with a time of 7:22.75. In the last race of the day the UM varsity eight (7:09.54) came away with another first-place finish over West Virginia (7:10.88), UCF (7:21.42) and UM (JV) 7:30.54. The Miami junior varsity eight defeated UConn head-to-head by a time of 7:39.29 to the Huskies’ 7:50.29.
The Hurricanes will next row at the San Diego (CA) Crew Classic, April 6 and 7.

Zach Johnson is known for his fashion sense, and always has been since he led Miami Norland High to ...

Let’s fire everybody! And while we’re at it let’s fire the people who hired the people we just fired ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt, whose Hurricanes are in the midst of a four-game losing streak ...

The University of Miami’s interest in Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant apparently is m ...

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball is a member of the 2018-19 Citizen Naismith ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated Hartford, 75-62, Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Cent ...