SG debates bill to set sanctions

During the first meeting of the new Student Government cabinet, SG senators deliberated last Wednesday whether an Honor Council member should establish sanctions based on precedent.

After almost an hour of discussion, council members decided to hold the item until next Wednesday, when a representative from the Honor Council will be present to answer questions about the workings of the judicial panel.

The debate was triggered by the highly scrutinized case of wide receiver Andre Johnson, who received a mitigated sentence from an appellate committee after the student-run Honor Council recommended he be suspended for two semesters.

Upholding that sanction would have kept the football player off the field when the national champions head out to defend their title this fall.

The Athletics Committee within the Faculty Senate is investigating the case, but it is unclear how much influence they will have on Johnson’s case. Administrators have been reluctant to discuss the case, even in generic terms.

Student Government Senator J.D. Barbosa introduced the bill, which would require that Honor Council members refer to past cases in determining sanctions for students found guilty of violating the Honor Code.

“It should have been the case from the start,” said Barbosa, referring to the Honor Council, a group of 22 full-time undergraduate students appointed by the Selections and Appeals Committee, made up of the Provost, the Vice President for Student Services and the President of Student Government.

Barbosa said that using past cases as guidelines would provide a fairer system by enabling Honor Council members to make their decisions aided by the “facts and evidence” of previously settled cases.

The heaviest opposition came from Senator Michael Holt, who argued that the Honor Council should not necessarily mirror conventional legal systems.

“The system has a fairness mechanism built into it,” said Holt, who reminded fellow council members that the Honor Council is not a team of prosecutors but rather a group of students committed to safeguarding “community and academic standards.”

At the heart of the debate lies the Buckley Amendment, a federal statute that guarantees student records remain confidential albeit a handful of exceptions.

Several Student Government members suggested that Honor Council members get access to nameless briefs of past cases, which would provide a more comprehensive framework with which to rule.

The Council currently reviews each case separately in accordance to the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook.

In a recent interview, Dean of Students William Sandler told the Hurricane that the Honor Council’s rules are likely to change as a result of the Andre Johnson case.

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...