Roberson returns to form after two year recovery

Hurricanes’ pitcher Troy Roberson has started seven games this season after missing almost two full seasons due to Tommy John surgery.

The Hurricanes junior from King’s Academy high school is now focused on staying healthy and being better than ever. In 2000, Troy had seven total appearances where he posted a 2-0 record and a microscopic 1.88 ERA before his injury. It is this form that Troy Roberson thinks he can get back to, and perhaps eclipse.

“I feel good. I have to think that I can come back and be better than ever,” said Roberson.

Despite red-shirting last season and being on the road to recovery, Roberson was taken in the 28th round of the Major League Baseball draft by the Texas Rangers.

However, Roberson chose to come back to Miami and work out his injury problems while trying to help the Hurricanes repeat as national champions.

Roberson is on the long road back to being a dominant pitcher after his surgery. His 5.12 ERA and 1-1 record in seven starts so far this season has been the beginning of his quest.

Roberson has been on a pitch count in each outing so that he does not work too hard too fast. He has logged just 27 innings so far this year.

“Right now we are just taking it slow. We don’t want to rush back into it too quick. I want to get back and play a full season, since I have never done that.” said Roberson.

The 6-2 203-pound ‘Canes pitcher and liberal arts major is putting his injury prone past behind him and moving forward.

His goal is to be the pitcher he was before his surgery early in the 2000 season, where Troy was off to a great start.

On March 22, 2000 against Northwestern, he set his career high in innings pitched with five and strikeouts with seven. On that day, ‘Canes fans got a glimpse of how great Troy Roberson really can be.

Roberson is not the type of player to be concerned with stats. His only goals are to stay healthy and to repeat as national champions.

“I never look at stats. Winning games as a team is all I care about. If we win games, whatever else happens will happen, but I like to win games. Of course, I want to stay healthy and keep pitching,” said Roberson.

The ‘Canes will need Roberson to stay healthy too if they want to try to repeat as national champions. Roberson is one of the top starters on the staff and the ‘Canes are relying on him to give them quality outings all season.

If he can do that, he will prove that it is possible to come back from Tommy John surgery without any repercussions.

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...