Roberson returns to form after two year recovery

Hurricanes’ pitcher Troy Roberson has started seven games this season after missing almost two full seasons due to Tommy John surgery.

The Hurricanes junior from King’s Academy high school is now focused on staying healthy and being better than ever. In 2000, Troy had seven total appearances where he posted a 2-0 record and a microscopic 1.88 ERA before his injury. It is this form that Troy Roberson thinks he can get back to, and perhaps eclipse.

“I feel good. I have to think that I can come back and be better than ever,” said Roberson.

Despite red-shirting last season and being on the road to recovery, Roberson was taken in the 28th round of the Major League Baseball draft by the Texas Rangers.

However, Roberson chose to come back to Miami and work out his injury problems while trying to help the Hurricanes repeat as national champions.

Roberson is on the long road back to being a dominant pitcher after his surgery. His 5.12 ERA and 1-1 record in seven starts so far this season has been the beginning of his quest.

Roberson has been on a pitch count in each outing so that he does not work too hard too fast. He has logged just 27 innings so far this year.

“Right now we are just taking it slow. We don’t want to rush back into it too quick. I want to get back and play a full season, since I have never done that.” said Roberson.

The 6-2 203-pound ‘Canes pitcher and liberal arts major is putting his injury prone past behind him and moving forward.

His goal is to be the pitcher he was before his surgery early in the 2000 season, where Troy was off to a great start.

On March 22, 2000 against Northwestern, he set his career high in innings pitched with five and strikeouts with seven. On that day, ‘Canes fans got a glimpse of how great Troy Roberson really can be.

Roberson is not the type of player to be concerned with stats. His only goals are to stay healthy and to repeat as national champions.

“I never look at stats. Winning games as a team is all I care about. If we win games, whatever else happens will happen, but I like to win games. Of course, I want to stay healthy and keep pitching,” said Roberson.

The ‘Canes will need Roberson to stay healthy too if they want to try to repeat as national champions. Roberson is one of the top starters on the staff and the ‘Canes are relying on him to give them quality outings all season.

If he can do that, he will prove that it is possible to come back from Tommy John surgery without any repercussions.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...