New SG leaders take office

Amid snapping cameras and tears of happiness from proud parents, Student Government [SG] president Michael Johnston was officially sworn in to his position Tuesday afternoon at the Rathskellar.

“You guys have huge shoes to fill,” warned Dr. Patricia Whitely, Vice President for Student Affairs, who ardently praised the accomplishments of last year’s administration under the leadership of former president Jose “Pepi” Diaz.

Johnston aims to boost extracurricular events, raise cultural awareness, and make Student Government more student-friendly.

Johnston says the new SG board already has a strong relationship with the administration, and that friction among past board members have crippled SG teams.

Newly elected Vice President Justin Levine and Treasurer Mahala Dar were on Johnston’s ticket.

The other five cabinet members who were inducted are: Stefanie Hernandez, Speaker of the Senate; Gina Yacone, Speaker pro Tempore; Scott Rubenstein and Rachel Turman, Chiefs of Staff; and Mary Clark, Executive Secretary.

Minutes before the new cabinet members rose their right hands in a pledge of commitment to the SG constitution, Diaz took over the podium to recap some of his achievements and express his gratitude as president for the final time.

“I’ve been proud and humble to be a part of UM,” said DIaz, who later added that Johnston would soon find out “the roller coaster of emotions that comes with the job.”

Part of the job, according to President Donna Shalala, is making sure the university’s president feels the heat.

“Student Government ought to be candid with the [university’s] President,” said Shalala. “I expect this student government to be tough and hold us to high expectations.”

Shalala also mentioned she felt sad to let go of some of the former cabinet members who will graduate in May.

“This was the best group of student government I’ve ever worked with,” marked the president, who also served as president of Hunter College from 1980 to 1987 and as chancellor of the University of Wisconsin-Madison from 1987 to 1993.

Shalala’s last words of encouragement to new cabinet members: “If you survive the year, I will write you each a letter of recommendation.”

When Johnston got his turn to speak, he told the audience, “I’ve gotten used to my speech always being after Pepi’s,” with whom he had a close working relationship.

Johnston says he will ask the administration to expand shuttle rides to Coconut Grove and provide ice machines at residence halls and televisions at dining halls.

Towards the end of his speech, Johnston thanked his parents who were also present.

“Mom, I’m your production,” said Johnston.

“I know Michael will make a difference,” said his mother Vera Johnston. “Even as a child, he’s been a true leader,” she added, lamenting that his hectic agenda allowed her to spend little quality time with her son.

When all was said and done, and parents rose to mingle with their newly-branded offspring, Shalala joked lightly, “Sure sounds like we’re going to have an expensive year.”

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami became just the second Hurricanes playe ...

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...