Greeks support the blind

The University of Miami’s Delta Gamma [DG] sorority hosted its second annual Grand Slam softball tournament on March 24th at Tropical Park to benefit the blind.

“It’s one day of fun and it’s all for charity, unlike other week-long Greek philanthropy events,” said Shelley Ann Hancock, DG’s Vice President of Foundation.

Kicking off at 1 p.m. in the afternoon, teams from both UM and Florida International University [FIU] tried their hardest to avoid losing twice in the double elimination format.

The fraternities represented included UM’s Sigma Chi, Alpha Sigma Phi, Zeta Beta Tau, Sigma Phi Epsilon and FIU’s Pi Kappa Alpha.

The tournament was played over three fields and finished with two championship games between Pi Kappa Alpha and defending champions Sigma Phi Epsilon at approximately 9:30 p.m.

An exciting championship won by Pi Kappa Alpha marked the end to a great day of camaraderie and achievement.

A portion of each team’s $250 entry fee went to Service for Sight and Aid to the Blind, Delta Gamma’s national philanthropy.

Food donations that helped provide energy for hungry players and supporters were made by Outback Steakhouse, On the Border, Chili’s, and Macaroni Grill restaurants along with the parents of one of the sorority members.

All players enjoyed the offerings especially after a number of intense, uniform-dirtying games in which DG sisters could be heard cheering for their favorite teams.

“It’s surprisingly good competition out here,” said Alpha Sigma player Luis Silvestre whose team took an early exit from the tournament.

The event also unofficially kicked off UM’s Intramural Softball season that starts this Monday.

“We’re looking forward to the season after how well we played today,” said Sigma Phi Epsilon co-captain Sam Montgomery.

“More importantly, it brought the fraternities together for a good cause,” said DG sister Megan Kat.

At the end of the day fraternity brothers along with sorority sisters left the softball diamond with dusty cleats, and achy muscles but most importantly with a check that will help to aid over 40 organizations currently helping blind citizens in the United States.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...