Greeks support the blind

The University of Miami’s Delta Gamma [DG] sorority hosted its second annual Grand Slam softball tournament on March 24th at Tropical Park to benefit the blind.

“It’s one day of fun and it’s all for charity, unlike other week-long Greek philanthropy events,” said Shelley Ann Hancock, DG’s Vice President of Foundation.

Kicking off at 1 p.m. in the afternoon, teams from both UM and Florida International University [FIU] tried their hardest to avoid losing twice in the double elimination format.

The fraternities represented included UM’s Sigma Chi, Alpha Sigma Phi, Zeta Beta Tau, Sigma Phi Epsilon and FIU’s Pi Kappa Alpha.

The tournament was played over three fields and finished with two championship games between Pi Kappa Alpha and defending champions Sigma Phi Epsilon at approximately 9:30 p.m.

An exciting championship won by Pi Kappa Alpha marked the end to a great day of camaraderie and achievement.

A portion of each team’s $250 entry fee went to Service for Sight and Aid to the Blind, Delta Gamma’s national philanthropy.

Food donations that helped provide energy for hungry players and supporters were made by Outback Steakhouse, On the Border, Chili’s, and Macaroni Grill restaurants along with the parents of one of the sorority members.

All players enjoyed the offerings especially after a number of intense, uniform-dirtying games in which DG sisters could be heard cheering for their favorite teams.

“It’s surprisingly good competition out here,” said Alpha Sigma player Luis Silvestre whose team took an early exit from the tournament.

The event also unofficially kicked off UM’s Intramural Softball season that starts this Monday.

“We’re looking forward to the season after how well we played today,” said Sigma Phi Epsilon co-captain Sam Montgomery.

“More importantly, it brought the fraternities together for a good cause,” said DG sister Megan Kat.

At the end of the day fraternity brothers along with sorority sisters left the softball diamond with dusty cleats, and achy muscles but most importantly with a check that will help to aid over 40 organizations currently helping blind citizens in the United States.

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

Miami redshirt senior quarterback Malik Rosier was named to the preseason watch list for the Manning ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...