Greeks support the blind

The University of Miami’s Delta Gamma [DG] sorority hosted its second annual Grand Slam softball tournament on March 24th at Tropical Park to benefit the blind.

“It’s one day of fun and it’s all for charity, unlike other week-long Greek philanthropy events,” said Shelley Ann Hancock, DG’s Vice President of Foundation.

Kicking off at 1 p.m. in the afternoon, teams from both UM and Florida International University [FIU] tried their hardest to avoid losing twice in the double elimination format.

The fraternities represented included UM’s Sigma Chi, Alpha Sigma Phi, Zeta Beta Tau, Sigma Phi Epsilon and FIU’s Pi Kappa Alpha.

The tournament was played over three fields and finished with two championship games between Pi Kappa Alpha and defending champions Sigma Phi Epsilon at approximately 9:30 p.m.

An exciting championship won by Pi Kappa Alpha marked the end to a great day of camaraderie and achievement.

A portion of each team’s $250 entry fee went to Service for Sight and Aid to the Blind, Delta Gamma’s national philanthropy.

Food donations that helped provide energy for hungry players and supporters were made by Outback Steakhouse, On the Border, Chili’s, and Macaroni Grill restaurants along with the parents of one of the sorority members.

All players enjoyed the offerings especially after a number of intense, uniform-dirtying games in which DG sisters could be heard cheering for their favorite teams.

“It’s surprisingly good competition out here,” said Alpha Sigma player Luis Silvestre whose team took an early exit from the tournament.

The event also unofficially kicked off UM’s Intramural Softball season that starts this Monday.

“We’re looking forward to the season after how well we played today,” said Sigma Phi Epsilon co-captain Sam Montgomery.

“More importantly, it brought the fraternities together for a good cause,” said DG sister Megan Kat.

At the end of the day fraternity brothers along with sorority sisters left the softball diamond with dusty cleats, and achy muscles but most importantly with a check that will help to aid over 40 organizations currently helping blind citizens in the United States.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...