Women’s tennis sweeps weekend

The No. 26 Hurricanes Women’s tennis team (10-4) defeated the West Virginia Mountaineers 7-0, and the Boston College Eagles 6-1, on Saturday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The two wins improved the Hurricanes home record to 7-0 and ended a two game losing streak from a recent road-trip to Texas.

The Mountaineers (3-8) were little competition for the Hurricanes, who dominated them in every aspect of the match.

No.1 singles, Mari Toro, lead the way for the Hurricanes, overpowering her opponent, Anna Underwood, from the outset. Toro’s strong forehand shot seemed to take Underwood by surprise, who made several unforced errors as a result. Toro won the first set 6-0 in under thirty minutes. Toro, who was very aggressive in the first set, seemed a step slower and more defensive in the second set. The two players split the first six games, each taking three games a piece. However, Toro quickly rebounded in the seventh game, pouncing on forehand shots and volleying more at the net. She went on to win the next three games and the set 6-3.

No.2 singles, Marcy Hora, also beat her opponent in a resounding manner, 6-0 6-3. The South Florida native kept her opponent on her toes throughout the match with her spin volleys and baseline shots.

“Marcy has been playing banged up, so its nice for her to go out there and get a win under her belt,” said head coach Paige Yaroshuk. “But overall, I think all the girls played well.”

No. 3 singles, Stacy Stevens, No.4 singles, Sihem Bennacer, No.5 singles Ewelina Skaza, and No.6 singles Igna deVilliers all won their matches in dramatic fashion 6-1 6-2, 6-1 6-1, 6-0 6-1, and 6-2 6-0, respectively.

The Hurricanes No.1, No.2, and No.3 doubles won their matches 8-2, 8-4, and 8-0, respectively to complete the sweep.

“Its always nice to win after you lose a couple,” said coach Yaroshuk. “I think we are significantly better than West Virginia and we came out and just proved that.”

The Hurricanes perpetuated their good play against another Big East rival later that afternoon when they played host to Boston College. The match had been postponed from Friday due to inclimate weather. This was hardly a problem on Saturday, when humidity and heat proved to be the foe instead.

However, the Hurricanes did not seem to lose a heartbeat. Mari Toro improved her singles record to 9-2, as she once again crushed her opponent 6-4 6-0. While No.2 Staci Stevens, No.3 Sihem Bennacer, No.5 Sara Robbins, and No.6 Jessica Pelto, also decisively beat their opponents 6-1 6-3, 6-4 7-6 (10-5), 6-2 6-2, 6-1 4-6 6-0, respectively.

“We practice in these type of conditions everyday. If we ever complain about heat, our girls need to practice more,” said coach Yaroshuk facetiously.

Miami’s No.1 and No.3 doubles tandems beat its opponents 8-1, 8-1, respectively.

The Hurricanes will once again put their undefeated home record on the line when they will play host to UCF on March 31st.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...