News Briefs and Campus Calendar

SURVEY

73% OF COLLEGE WOMEN IN THE SOUTH FEEL EXTREMELY STRESSED OUT.

UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI HOSTS “o.b.U” EVENT ON MARCH 26 TO HELP COLLEGE WOMEN UNWIND

WHAT: o.b.U., an interactive event aimed at inspiring college women to increase their own level of self confidence and their beliefs in their abilities.
Activities include:
“National Confidence Collage” -Local female college students will post their creative and inspiring messages for other women like them to the National Confidence Collage that is touring the United States this spring.
“Kick Your Way to Confidence” -A local fitness expert will help stressed college students unwind and feel stronger with kick-boxing techniques.
WHY: Results of a national survey of college women, commissioned by o.b(r) Tampons, show that local college women are in serious need of a confidence boost:
WHERE: University Center Patio, University of Miami
WHEN: o.b.U. is in session only today from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m.
WHO: We expect more than 1,000 women to attend and add their comments to the National Confidence Collage.
For more information contact Mariela MelEndez at 305-207-4107 or at mariela@edfpr.com.

KOSHER MEALS AVAILABLE DURING PASSOVER
Kosher for Passover lunches and dinners will be available at the Hillel Jewish Student Center from Friday, March 29 through Thursday, April 4. Lunches are served from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. and cost $7 for students and $11 for others. Dinners are served from 5 – 7 p.m. and are $9 for students and $13 for others. You can pay by check or credit card, and meals must be ordered and paid for in advance. For more information call the Greater Miami Hillel at 305-665-6948.

NEW HILLEL ISREAL TRIPS OFFER ADVENTURE, CHALLENGE
Miami’s Jewish college students ages 18-26 once again have the opportunity to visit Israel for free, courtesy of Birthright Israel and Hillel, the Foundation for Jewish Campus Life. But instead of the traditional trip during the winter break, students will now have the chance to explore Israel during summer vacation.
Hillel has worked with Israel’s foremost outdoor educators to create the Outdoor Adventure Challenge, an exciting program across the country’s beautiful terrain. Bus groups will compete in a series of challenges, similar to those on reality-based television shows such as “Road Rules.” Additional specialty trips include Dig Through the Ages, Israel Eco Encounter, Inward Bound.
Applications are already online at www.israel.hillel.org. Apply now!

The UM bookstore is holding a 25% off sale until Saturday, March 30 on all t-shirts, tank tops, shorts and National Championship merchandise.
WORKS OF MICHELANGELO ON DISPLAY AT SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE
School of Architecture students will display dozens of drawings and models inspired by the Renaissance figure Michelangelo through April 18 at the School of Architecture Gallery. The School of Architecture Gallery is free and open to the public 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Jamaican Awareness Week & Religious Diversity Week
Today
o.b.U. An interactive event aimed at inspiring college women to increase their own level of self confidence and their beliefs in their abilities from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. in the UC Patio.
Roots, Rhymes, Reggae at the Rat at 7p.m.
CAC film “Not another teen Movie”
Women in Islam: A talk with Dr. Maysam al Faruqi, Theology Professor at Georgetown University in the Flamingo Ballrooms C & D at 6:15p.m.
“747” : InterVarsity Christian Fellowship in Eaton classroom at 7:45p.m.
Wed March 27
Housing sign-up for Summer/ Fall 2002 begins
Jamaican Cook-out on UC patio at 7-9p.m.
“The Tenebrae Service”: A scripture and light presentation of Jesus’ sufferings and death at the St. Augustines’s Catholic Church at 8p.m. Also an ancient service of darkness at the Episcopal Center at 7p.m.
Thurs March 28
The Public Relations Student Society of America will be hosting a professional mixer at the Fischl apartment in Pearson tonight at 7p.m. All students who are interested in Public Relations are invited, and all students must bring their resumes and dress professionally. Refreshments will be provided. Any further questions e-mail: umprssa@hotmail.com.
A Night of Reflection: Readings from Islamic Poetry, Hadiths, and Surahs at the Lowe Art Museum Courtyard at 5:30p.m.
“Holy” Thursday: “Pascal Meal” at the Episcopal Chapel at 7p.m.; “The Mass of the Lord’s Supper” at St. Augustine’s Catholic Church at 8p.m. and “Jesus over Coffee” at Baptist Campus Ministries-BCM Building, 1200 Stanford Dr. at 7:30p.m.
Fri March 29
Happy Hour at the RAT 4:30p.m.-1p.m., DJ
THE SOURCE Fashion Nation Tour/ Spring Concert, UC Patio.
OJU Fashion Explosion in the UC-I Lounge from 7-9p.m.
The 2002 Student Organization Achievement & Recognition Awards Ceremony will be held April 25th, 2002 at the Faculty Club. Deadline for nominations is today.
Islam and America: A discussion led by Dr. Muqtedar Khan, Assistant Professor of Political Science and Director of International Studies, Adrian College in Michigan, in Flamingo Ballroom A from 2:30p.m.
“Good” Friday: “Carrying of the Cross” at Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship-UC Patio at 11:15a.m.; “Good Friday Liturgy” at Episcopal Center at 12p.m. & 7p.m.; “Stations of the Cross” at St. Augustine’s Catholic Church at 12p.m. and “Celebration of the Passion and Death of the Lord” at St. Augustine’s Catholic Church at 3p.m. & 7p.m.
Sat March 30
“Great Vigil of Easter” at Episcopal Chapel at 7:30p.m. and St. Augustine’s Catholic Church at 8p.m.
Sun March 31
“Easter” Sunday: “Easter Morning service” at Episcopal Center at 10a.m.; “Easter Sunday Mass” at St. Augustine’s Catholic Church at 6:30a.m., 8a.m., 10a.m., 12a.m. & 1:30p.m. “Fellowship Supper” at Wesley Foundation at 5p.m. and “Easter Pageant” at Wesley Foundation at 6p.m.
Mon April 1
Sign-up for Suite housing
Sigma Alpha Mu Penny Wars in the Breezeway from 11a.m.-3p.m. Monday to Friday.
Tues April 2
CAC Film, “Royal Tenebaums”
Wed April 3
Craig Karges, Physic/Mentalist, 8p.m. Patio
Open mic at the RAT, 7-9p.m.
Sigma Alpha Mu: Our Bounce 4 Beats Sorority Basketball Tournament will be held today at the Wellness Center. Tip Off is at 9:30.