Intramural Basketball Championships

Basketball Campus Championship

Banditos Yanquis – 61

Pi Kappa Alpha – 59

UM’s Intramural Basketball Campus Championship game was held last Thursday night, in the Wellness Center’s Main Gym between the Greek Champions Pi Kappa Alpha and the Overall Open Men’s Champion Banditos Yanquis.

The Men’s champs broke out early with a small lead, but Pike gathered themselves and the lead changed hands several times before the half was out. Pike was leading by two at the half.

At the outset of the second half Banditos Yanquis went on a short scoring run and had a four point lead with about 15 minutes left in the half.

From this point on the game went back and forth, with the score being tied and the lead changing on practically every possession. During the struggle, one person from each team had fouled out: Ray Gunthrie from Pi Kappa Alpha and Andy Greenlee from Banditos Yanquis.

Both players were relied on heavily for their defense and scoring abilities. Gunthrie fouled out with 16 points and 4 steals and Greenlee fouled out with 10 points, 4 rebounds, and 1 steal.

With two minutes left in the second half, the game was still up for grabs. With 11 seconds left in the game and Pike down 51-53, they worked it into Brett McCullough who made the shot and got fouled with six seconds. McCullough missed his foul shot, but Banditos Yanquis were not able to convert on their last second shot.

The game went into a three-minute overtime. Overtime was just as close as the previous 15 minutes were. The game came down to 13 seconds with Banditos inbounding the ball in their backcourt and Pike pressing. Banditos made a couple of quick passes and found Mike Zanetty open in front of the basket for an easy two.

Pike took a time out with six seconds left in the game and the score 61-59. Pike inbounded the ball to Jeff Pon who drove the length of the court and put up a lay-up that fell short. Time expired and this year’s Intramural Basketball Campus Champions are the Banditos Yanquis.!

CoRec Championship

Bucs – 50

Ashish – 48

Wednesday night’s CoRec Championship pitted the No. three seed Bucs versus the No. four seed Ashish.

The game was back and forth all first half, with neither team gaining more than a three-point advantage. At the end of the half the Bucs had a two-point lead thanks to the 14 points by Chrissy Moncaleri.

Ashish kept it close thanks to 10 points by Jess Feldman. The second half was more of the same with both teams exchanging one bucket after another.

Reinforcements showed up at the half for both teams, Aaron Johnson for the Bucs and Sam Wilkes for Ashish. Johnson was largely ineffective in the second half, but Wilkes provided a spark that kept Ashish close.

As the game continued to battle with no clear team having an advantage, Dalia Clarke stepped up for the Bucs. She had a monster second half, which made the Bucs pull away towards the end.

Evan Pike from Ashish, would not go down without a fight and brought his team close at the end with a big three-pointer with little time left.

After some missed free throws by the Bucs, Ashish had one last chance to get the tying bucket. With six seconds left Sam Wilkes passed the ball to Jess Feldman who missed a wide open lay-up to tie the game which the Bucs rebounded and ran out the clock giving them a close hard-earned win.

Peak Performers for each team were Dalia Clarke from the Bucs who had 13 points, 14 rebounds, 7 blocks, and 4 steals, and Lindsey Peavey from Ashish who had 21 points, 2 assists, and 5 rebounds.

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...