Intramural Basketball Championships

Basketball Campus Championship

Banditos Yanquis – 61

Pi Kappa Alpha – 59

UM’s Intramural Basketball Campus Championship game was held last Thursday night, in the Wellness Center’s Main Gym between the Greek Champions Pi Kappa Alpha and the Overall Open Men’s Champion Banditos Yanquis.

The Men’s champs broke out early with a small lead, but Pike gathered themselves and the lead changed hands several times before the half was out. Pike was leading by two at the half.

At the outset of the second half Banditos Yanquis went on a short scoring run and had a four point lead with about 15 minutes left in the half.

From this point on the game went back and forth, with the score being tied and the lead changing on practically every possession. During the struggle, one person from each team had fouled out: Ray Gunthrie from Pi Kappa Alpha and Andy Greenlee from Banditos Yanquis.

Both players were relied on heavily for their defense and scoring abilities. Gunthrie fouled out with 16 points and 4 steals and Greenlee fouled out with 10 points, 4 rebounds, and 1 steal.

With two minutes left in the second half, the game was still up for grabs. With 11 seconds left in the game and Pike down 51-53, they worked it into Brett McCullough who made the shot and got fouled with six seconds. McCullough missed his foul shot, but Banditos Yanquis were not able to convert on their last second shot.

The game went into a three-minute overtime. Overtime was just as close as the previous 15 minutes were. The game came down to 13 seconds with Banditos inbounding the ball in their backcourt and Pike pressing. Banditos made a couple of quick passes and found Mike Zanetty open in front of the basket for an easy two.

Pike took a time out with six seconds left in the game and the score 61-59. Pike inbounded the ball to Jeff Pon who drove the length of the court and put up a lay-up that fell short. Time expired and this year’s Intramural Basketball Campus Champions are the Banditos Yanquis.!

CoRec Championship

Bucs – 50

Ashish – 48

Wednesday night’s CoRec Championship pitted the No. three seed Bucs versus the No. four seed Ashish.

The game was back and forth all first half, with neither team gaining more than a three-point advantage. At the end of the half the Bucs had a two-point lead thanks to the 14 points by Chrissy Moncaleri.

Ashish kept it close thanks to 10 points by Jess Feldman. The second half was more of the same with both teams exchanging one bucket after another.

Reinforcements showed up at the half for both teams, Aaron Johnson for the Bucs and Sam Wilkes for Ashish. Johnson was largely ineffective in the second half, but Wilkes provided a spark that kept Ashish close.

As the game continued to battle with no clear team having an advantage, Dalia Clarke stepped up for the Bucs. She had a monster second half, which made the Bucs pull away towards the end.

Evan Pike from Ashish, would not go down without a fight and brought his team close at the end with a big three-pointer with little time left.

After some missed free throws by the Bucs, Ashish had one last chance to get the tying bucket. With six seconds left Sam Wilkes passed the ball to Jess Feldman who missed a wide open lay-up to tie the game which the Bucs rebounded and ran out the clock giving them a close hard-earned win.

Peak Performers for each team were Dalia Clarke from the Bucs who had 13 points, 14 rebounds, 7 blocks, and 4 steals, and Lindsey Peavey from Ashish who had 21 points, 2 assists, and 5 rebounds.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...