Getting to know your SG leaders

Student government president elect Mike Johnston only has one suit; he hasn’t even worn it yet.

As a matter of fact, Johnston says his wardrobe is quite simple: “A pair of board shorts, white t-shirt and flip flops – a day at the beach – I love the beach.” While Johnston believes that a good character should precede a good suit, don’t mistake his laid-back attitude for laziness; he still means business.

“I’ve had a really good foundation – this is my third year on the executive board, I’ve started on the student government executive board since I was a freshman.”

Because of this, Johnston says, “I’ve been able to build a lot of good administrative relationships and being president is all about the trust and experience that comes with those types of relationships.”

Johnston is a 20-year-old senior majoring in engineering.

He is also pre-med and plans on venturing to the Peace Corps after he finishes with his schooling.

He listens to country music, especially Tim Mcgraw, and his favorite movie is A River Runs Through It, starring Robert Redford and Brad Pitt.

When he’s not catching a movie you can probably find Mike at the beach or at one of UM’s sporting events.

“I love sports, every single sporting event – I try not to miss any,” Johnston said.

With all these activities Johnston attends to, one may wonder when he accomplishes any schoolwork or his newfound Student Government responsibilities. But Johnston has got this covered too.

“I’ve learned to balance work and play,” Johnston said. “There are some times when I have to stay focused on my studies and responsibilities but being an executive officer in my fraternity, I’ve learned to budget my time and money.”

Johnston attributes much of his development and maturity as an individual to his fraternity, Pi Kappa Alpha.

“Pi Kappa Alpha has been the biggest leadership experience for me. Going Greek has forced me to mature,” he said.

Yet while holding a prestigious title in his fraternity and a large background in leadership experiences, Johnston prides himself on being the same person he was before becoming Student Government President.

“One thing I pride myself on is I don’t ever try to flaunt my titles-I work for people and not titles. It doesn’t take a title to change things-it takes a strong ambition and a good personality.”

President-elect Johnston presents himself as a humble, outgoing, and laid- back man who loves country music and an occasional party.

However, Johnston also emphasizes that he’s here to serve the student body. “There are a lot of people who are older than me, who make more money than me, but we’re still the same at UM – I’m here to work for everyone.”

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...