Getting to know your SG leaders

Student government president elect Mike Johnston only has one suit; he hasn’t even worn it yet.

As a matter of fact, Johnston says his wardrobe is quite simple: “A pair of board shorts, white t-shirt and flip flops – a day at the beach – I love the beach.” While Johnston believes that a good character should precede a good suit, don’t mistake his laid-back attitude for laziness; he still means business.

“I’ve had a really good foundation – this is my third year on the executive board, I’ve started on the student government executive board since I was a freshman.”

Because of this, Johnston says, “I’ve been able to build a lot of good administrative relationships and being president is all about the trust and experience that comes with those types of relationships.”

Johnston is a 20-year-old senior majoring in engineering.

He is also pre-med and plans on venturing to the Peace Corps after he finishes with his schooling.

He listens to country music, especially Tim Mcgraw, and his favorite movie is A River Runs Through It, starring Robert Redford and Brad Pitt.

When he’s not catching a movie you can probably find Mike at the beach or at one of UM’s sporting events.

“I love sports, every single sporting event – I try not to miss any,” Johnston said.

With all these activities Johnston attends to, one may wonder when he accomplishes any schoolwork or his newfound Student Government responsibilities. But Johnston has got this covered too.

“I’ve learned to balance work and play,” Johnston said. “There are some times when I have to stay focused on my studies and responsibilities but being an executive officer in my fraternity, I’ve learned to budget my time and money.”

Johnston attributes much of his development and maturity as an individual to his fraternity, Pi Kappa Alpha.

“Pi Kappa Alpha has been the biggest leadership experience for me. Going Greek has forced me to mature,” he said.

Yet while holding a prestigious title in his fraternity and a large background in leadership experiences, Johnston prides himself on being the same person he was before becoming Student Government President.

“One thing I pride myself on is I don’t ever try to flaunt my titles-I work for people and not titles. It doesn’t take a title to change things-it takes a strong ambition and a good personality.”

President-elect Johnston presents himself as a humble, outgoing, and laid- back man who loves country music and an occasional party.

However, Johnston also emphasizes that he’s here to serve the student body. “There are a lot of people who are older than me, who make more money than me, but we’re still the same at UM – I’m here to work for everyone.”

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...