Causes a priority for UM students

While many students were soaking up the sun in Cancun and the Bahamas, a group of UM students had a different idea of how best to spend spring break.

Leaving behind suntan lotion and hedonistic desires, over 70 students spent their vacation divided amongst eleven volunteer sites across the country for this year’s Alternative Spring Break.

The students were divided into teams of about seven to nine people, based on the cause they preferred to volunteer for. Causes varied, including hunger and homelessness in Chicago; youth violence in Detroit; wetland restoration in Louisiana. Students also worked to improve the lives of migrant farm-workers in rural Florida; enhancing fine arts in city schools in Providence, R.I.; and supporting environmental protection in the Smoky Mountains.

“I wanted to participate because I feel like people in our generation have become spectators,” said Juan Pena, a senior who addressed issues of youth violence in Detroit last week “While we go to Cancun and etcetera, people in our country are falling through the cracks.”

“I felt like I got a lot more out of this experience than what I gave,” said Andrea Sauertieg, a senior psychology major who served as the leader for the HIV/AIDS site in Washington D.C.

Beginning 12 years ago when volunteers came together to help the community after Hurricane Andrew, Alternative Spring Break has since grown into a well-developed program committed to promoting active citizenship.

It is part of a larger national organization called Breakaway, which immerses students in different cultures, heightens social awareness, and advocates lifelong social action.

Yasmin Bootwala, a senior serving as chairperson of this year’s ASB said she had a ten member executive board and 12 site leaders to make all of the trips a success.

“Obviously the program would die without the outstanding participants themselves,” Bootwalla said. “ASB runs on good hearts and good people.”

Bootwala said they held a raffle earlier in the year to raise money to help alleviate the costs of the trips. She’s hoping for an alternative fall break and an international spring break site next year.

“I felt so gratified and fulfilled when I got back,” said Shelly Stromoski, a senior majoring in public relations, who spent her week working with the Kensington Welfare Rights Union in Philadelphia. “That’s something you can’t get from going on a regular vacation.”

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...