Women ousted from NIT tourney

This season, the women’s basketball team took a step in the right direction by earning a post-season berth in the NIT Tournament and getting through the first round. Miami’s season concluded with an 83-76 loss against the Houston Cougars Saturday in the 2nd round of the NIT.

Senior Shelia James led the Hurricanes with 18 points and fellow senior Martha Bodley chipped in with 17 points and 9 rebounds.

“Our seniors did a phenomenal job leading the team in the end,” said head coach Ferne Labati.

The Hurricanes were a bubble team for the NCAA Tournament that ultimately got left out on selection Sunday probably due to a couple of early season losses and a 2nd round exit in the Big East tournament.

“Our early season losses affected our RPI…If we wouldn’t have had either the loss to South Florida or to Kentucky, we probably would have gotten in and they would have taken six teams in the Big East.” said Coach Labati.

The Hurricanes showed a lot of growth and they played good basketball throughout most of the season. The team had quality wins against Texas, Boston College, and Virginia Tech. In addition, Miami had a tough first round NIT come from behind win against ACC team Georgia Tech.

“We were down nine at halftime and we came back strong. It showed a lot of heart to win that game,” said junior guard Megan Saake.

The team received some individual honors this season. Chanivia Broussard was a 2nd Team All-Big East player and Megan Saake won the Big-East Defensive Player of the Year award. For Saake, this award is a tribute to the heart she has shown as a co-captain of the team throughout the season.

“Megan Saake is the symbol of hard work. If you work hard, it will pay off,” said Coach Labati.

Saake was the first Miami player in history to win this award. She averaged four steals a game and broke the single season Miami Hurricanes record for steals with 110. Saake currently has 233 steals in her three-year career as a Hurricane.

“I was very honored to win that award. It was a nice surprise,” said Saake.

The Canes 19-12 record capped off a very successful season in a lot of ways, as it led them to post-season play. The future looks bright for this basketball team. The goal next season will be to make the NCAA Tournament. Saake will be back as a senior to lead the team, along with junior Chanivia Broussard and Shaquana Wilkins, and incoming freshman Tamara James has a lot of potential to be an outstanding player. This team should be geared to make an NCAA Tournament run.

“We are looking forward to playing in the NCAA Tournament next season, although we will miss our seniors (Shelia James, Martha Bodley, and Kathryn Fowler),” said Saake. This team does need to improve if they want to be a legitimate contender. They struggled from the three point line this season and their rebounding and free throw shooting was suspect at times.

“Two keys is the guard play and rebounding. If we have those two things, I think we are capable of going to the sweet sixteen.” said Coach Labati.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...