Students cope with parking pains

UM students find the creation of the new Pavia parking garage a blessing and a curse.

While 198 spaces were lost by closing the Pavia lot for construction, 214 spaces have been added by placing concrete space markers on the lawns surrounding the UC, the Lowe Art Museum, and the Behavioral Medicine building, according to the department of parking and transportation.

However, students said that these spaces are somewhat difficult to get to and it takes more time for students to find a space, or rather, a way to get to a space.

“It’s annoying and problematic. I have to get here fifteen minutes earlier,” says student Danielle Minervini.

Curbs have been lowered in some places to make easy access to the temporary parking, but since it is only temporary, entrances are not all clearly marked or easy to find.

Students are finding the construction to be an inconvenience, but complaints are relatively few. For now, they are swallowing their complaints in hopes of a better parking alternative next semester.

“We really need the garage,” says freshman Richard Hargett. “It’s about time we made some steps toward fixing the parking problem on campus. It’s just too bad they have to ruin the grass. It’s not very nice, aesthetically.”

“I only have trouble on Mondays when I come to school later in the day,” says commuter student Yolanda Ossa. “But I had that problem before the construction started. But I could usually find a parking space by the counseling center and now I can’t.”

English professor Natasa Kovacevic says, “I have a faculty tag, so it doesn’t affect me as much, but the Writing Center lot, where I usually park, is much busier now.”

The parking problem affects commuter students much more than dorm residents, they said.

On-campus resident Lily Baca said that the construction hasn’t affected her at all, because she doesn’t have to commute.

“I go out on weekends and come home at night, when parking is not a problem anyway. I just park at Eaton, where I live,” Baca said.

The garage will have 561 spaces, more than twice as many as the old Pavia lot offered. It will be equipped with two blue light phones and a 24-hour security guard and is expected to open in August 2002.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...