Sports Briefs

SWIMMING AND DIVING

Ten University of Miami swimmers and divers have qualified to compete in the 2002 NCAA Swimming & Diving Championships. The Hurricane swimmers are led by sophomore Manon van Rooijen. Van Rooijen was named 2002 Big East Most Outstanding Women’s Swimmer after shattering three Big East records at the conference championship last month. Junior Christine Williams, freshman Erin Johns, and junior Meganround out the UM swimming representatives. In addition to their individual events, the Hurricanes qualified to compete in the 200, 400, and 800 free relays. Miami also sends six divers to compete on the national stag, including all four of it’s men divers. The Women’s championships kicked off yesterday at the University of Texas and continue through tomorrow, while the men’s championship is scheduled for March 28-30 at the University of Georgia.
WOMEN’S GOLF

Freshman Tina Miller fired a final-round 73 and finished in fourth-place at the Waterlefe/USF Invitational held at Waterlefe Golf Club in Bradenton, FL. Miller (71-78-73-222) has finished no lower than sixth in Miami’s first four tournaments this spring and has a team best 74.5 strokes per round average. Also playing well forr the Hurricanes was sophomore Camilla Hilland who finished tied for sixth with a three-round total of 224 (75-71-78). Miami finished seventh in the team competition posting a three-round score of 943 (308-317-318). The Hurricanes returns to action April 4-7 when it hosts the Ryder/Florida Women’s Collegiate Golf Championships at Don Shula’s Golf Club and Resort in Miami Lakes

WOMEN’S ROWING

The Miami Hurricanes finished second at the races on Indian Creek in Miami Beach last weekend.
The UM women’s varsity eight, finished with a time of 6:58.3, second to Syracuse, who completed the course in 6:38.5. The second varsity eight, timed at 7:25.6. The Hurricanes’ varsity four placed behind the Syracuse “A” boat (7:45.1) with a time of 8:02.8. The days second session also featured boats from UCF, U.S. Naval Academy and North Carolina . The Hurricane women return to action next weekend as they host Connecticut and West Virginia on Saturday, March 23.

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been fascinated with Japan and its culture. Parti ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

A University of Miami engineering faculty member discusses how California’s infrastructure fared dur ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...