Sports Briefs

SWIMMING AND DIVING

Ten University of Miami swimmers and divers have qualified to compete in the 2002 NCAA Swimming & Diving Championships. The Hurricane swimmers are led by sophomore Manon van Rooijen. Van Rooijen was named 2002 Big East Most Outstanding Women’s Swimmer after shattering three Big East records at the conference championship last month. Junior Christine Williams, freshman Erin Johns, and junior Meganround out the UM swimming representatives. In addition to their individual events, the Hurricanes qualified to compete in the 200, 400, and 800 free relays. Miami also sends six divers to compete on the national stag, including all four of it’s men divers. The Women’s championships kicked off yesterday at the University of Texas and continue through tomorrow, while the men’s championship is scheduled for March 28-30 at the University of Georgia.
WOMEN’S GOLF

Freshman Tina Miller fired a final-round 73 and finished in fourth-place at the Waterlefe/USF Invitational held at Waterlefe Golf Club in Bradenton, FL. Miller (71-78-73-222) has finished no lower than sixth in Miami’s first four tournaments this spring and has a team best 74.5 strokes per round average. Also playing well forr the Hurricanes was sophomore Camilla Hilland who finished tied for sixth with a three-round total of 224 (75-71-78). Miami finished seventh in the team competition posting a three-round score of 943 (308-317-318). The Hurricanes returns to action April 4-7 when it hosts the Ryder/Florida Women’s Collegiate Golf Championships at Don Shula’s Golf Club and Resort in Miami Lakes

WOMEN’S ROWING

The Miami Hurricanes finished second at the races on Indian Creek in Miami Beach last weekend.
The UM women’s varsity eight, finished with a time of 6:58.3, second to Syracuse, who completed the course in 6:38.5. The second varsity eight, timed at 7:25.6. The Hurricanes’ varsity four placed behind the Syracuse “A” boat (7:45.1) with a time of 8:02.8. The days second session also featured boats from UCF, U.S. Naval Academy and North Carolina . The Hurricane women return to action next weekend as they host Connecticut and West Virginia on Saturday, March 23.

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...