‘Showtime’ a good show

Showtime is familiar with all the buddy cop movies that have come out of Hollywood in the last 20 years. Therefore, rather than duplicating the cliches, the film has fun spoofing them, up until the last 15 minutes. This way, rather than sit through another tiresome scene when the chief orders our hero to hand over his gun and badge, we can laugh when Robert De Niro asks his chief, “What do you want me to do now? Hand over my gun and badge?”

De Niro plays Mitch Preston, a lonesome, veteran, no-nonsense officer who has a very funny opening monologue at an elementary school, talking about how he never had to choose between the red and blue wire, and what will happen if anyone breaks the law in “his city.” We also meet Trey Sellars (Eddie Murphy), a younger and much louder cop who’s primary job is to put the caution tape around a crime scene, thus enabling him to turn his interests to other professions, like acting.

Enter Chase Ramsey (Rene Russo, who still looks good entering middle age) as a TV producer with plans for a new type of reality show. Ramsey sees Preston’s name all over the media after a fight with a cameraman ended with him shooting the cameraman’s lens. She knows she has the perfect cop for half of her TV show, but it is not until Preston is threatened with suspension before he agrees.

Preston’s “younger, minority-type partner” is chosen thanks to a clever improvisation scene in which Sellars has a friend help him get Ramsey’s attention. This is one of the few scenes with Russo that work, for the most part, however, her character is a clich

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...