News Briefs and Campus Calendar

KNOW ANY GREAT HEROES?
Applications are now out for the Vice President’s Award for Service and the Robert Bates Cole Award for volunteer Leadership. The Vice President’s Award for Service is given out annually to recognize outstanding UM students, faculty and staff for their volunteerism in the Greater Miami community. Nomination forms are located in: Ashe 244, UC240, Ashe 325, 210 Ferre, A-212 Law Building and 2102/2108 RMSB.

The Robert Bates Cole Award for Volunteer Leadership is given to a current sophomore or junior, who exemplifies the characteristics of integrity and dedication through exceptional, committed and unassuming participation in community service activities. Applications are in the Butler Volunteer Services Center, UC240.

Application deadline for both awards is 5p.m. March 22, 2002. For more information, please call the Butler Volunteer Services Center at 305-284-GIVE.

SURVEY SAYS 73% OF COLLEGE WOMEN IN THE SOUTH FEEL EXTREMELY STRESSED OUT. UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI HOSTS “o.b.U” EVENT ON MARCH 26 TO HELP COLLEGE WOMEN UNWIND.

WHAT: o.b.U., an interactive event aimed at inspiring college women to increase their own level of self confidence and their beliefs in their abilities.
Activities include:
-“National Confidence Collage” -Local female college students will post their creative and inspiring messages for other women like them to the National Confidence Collage that is touring the United States this spring.
-“Kick Your Way to Confidence” -A local fitness expert will help stressed college students unwind and feel stronger with kick-boxing techniques.
WHY: Results of a national survey of college women, commissioned by o.b(r) Tampons, show that local college women are in serious need of a confidence boost:

WHERE: University Center Patio, University of Miami.

WHEN: o.b.U. is in session only on March 26 from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m.

WHO: We expect more than 1,000 women to attend and add their comments to the National Confidence Collage.
For more information contact Mariela MelEndez at 305-207-4107 or at mariela@edfpr.com.

NEW UNDERGRAD DEGREE IN NEUROSCIENCE OFFERED
Did you know that UM now offers a new major in neuroscience for Bachelor of Science degree students in the College of Arts and Sciences? It is an expansion of the former major in psychobiology, which was a joint program between the departments of biology and psychology. To learn more, visit
http://www.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1,1770,2593-1;3000-2;12753-3,00.html.

NEW HILLEL ISREAL TRIPS OFFER ADVENTURE, CHALLENGE
Miami’s Jewish college students ages 18-26 once again have the opportunity to visit Israel for free, courtesy of Birthright Israel and Hillel, the Foundation for Jewish Campus Life. But instead of the traditional trip during the winter break, students will now have the chance to explore Israel during summer vacation.
Hillel has worked with Israel’s foremost outdoor educators to create the Outdoor Adventure Challenge, an exciting program across the country’s beautiful terrain. Bus groups will compete in a series of challenges, similar to those on reality-based television shows such as “Road Rules.” Additional specialty trips include Dig Through the Ages, Israel Eco Encounter, Inward Bound.
Applications are already online at www.israel.hillel.org4. Apply now!
The UM bookstore is holding a 25% off sale until Saturday, March 30 on all t-shirts, tank tops, shorts and National Championship merchandise.

WORKS OF MICHELANGELO ON DISPLAY AT SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE
School of Architecture students will display dozens of drawings and models inspired by the Renaissance figure Michelangelo through April 18 at the School of Architecture Gallery. The School of Architecture Gallery is free and open to the public 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Today
Friday Grooves 11:30a.m.-1p.m. on the UC Patio; “Places of Recovery”

Happy hour at the Rat from 4:30-8p.m., DJ/Band

Afrocentria II: The Urban African Lounge Experience featuring the classical belly dancing styling of Amanda Saab plus an open mic nite will be presented at The Wesley Foundation at 7p.m. tonight.

Glass workshop at the Lowe. The final public lecture of the Miami Hot Studio Glass Workshop and Public
Lecture Series will feature William Carlson at 7 p.m. tonight at the Lowe Art Museum.

Sat March 23
Students together ending Poverty and the Wellness Center will host a “Hoops for Hunger” basketball tournament today at the Wellness Center basketball courts. For more information contact Sarah McGrail at 305-689-3971 or e-mail at HaJESTERha@aol.com.

The 3-on-3-basketball tournament will take place today. The entry fee is $20. For more information call Jason Carroll at 305-284-8518.

Jamaican Awareness Week & Religious Diversity Week

Mon March 25
Jamaican Awareness week opening Ceremonies at 12p.m. in the UC Patio.

Tues March 26
Roots, Rhymes, Reggae at the Rat at 7p.m.

CAC film “Not another teen Movie”

Wed March 27
Housing sign-up for Summer/ Fall 2002 begins

Jamaican Cook-out on UC patio at 7-9p.m.

Thurs March 28
The Public Relations Student Society of America will be hosting a professional mixer at the Fischl apartment in Pearson tonight at 7p.m. All students who are interested in Public Relations are invited, and all students must bring their resumes and dress professionally. Refreshments will be provided. Any further questions e-mail: umprssa@hotmail.com.

Fri March 29
OJU Fashion Explosion in the UC-I Lounge from 7-9p.m.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...