All-American Clarke continues to impress

Kareen Clarke has quietly established herself as one of University of Miami’s best track and field athletes.

Clarke’s hard work and determination helped her earn her fourth All-American honors with a third place finish in the triple jump (13.54 meters) at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships at the University of Arkansas Tyson Track Center (Fayettville, AR) on March 9.

“Kareen has always been at her best in the big meets and it wasn’t any different tonight,” said Miami women’s track head coach Amy Deem after the meet. “When you compete at this meet against the best there is, you can’t ask for anything more than what she produced.”

As the season progresses, Clarke continues to improve her jumps and blow out her competition. She recently placed first in the triple jump at the Hurricane Invitational on March 16 at University of Miami’s Cobb stadium. With a jump of 13.77 meters, Clarke automatically qualified for the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships to be held in Baton Rouge, LA, May 29-June 1.

“We only have two outdoor meets here at UM, so I try to take advantage of the extra support from my family and friends,” said Clarke. “We practice here everyday and the familiarity of the surroundings really does help your performance.”

Clarke, the 1997 Jamaican Junior champion in the triple jump, lead Stephenson High School (Lithonic, Georgia) to consecutive state titles. Clarke was the state triple jump champion three consecutive seasons and the state record holder in the triple jump (38′-3″). She also served as team captain and received MVP honors her junior and senior year.

Clarke eagerly attended UM on an athletic scholarship in 1999 and has been a key role to the success of the Hurricanes’ track program ever since. As a freshman, Clarke was named the Hurricanes’ Most Outstanding Newcomer (1999) and continued to receive All-American Honors her sophomore year in the triple jump at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships in Fayettville, Arkansas.

Clarke set Miami triple jump records at the Big East Indoor Championships (2000) with a jump of 13.19 meters and an outdoor record of 13.24 meters at the Reebok Invitational in Atlanta, GA (2000).

“[Kareen] is a leader by example. Her self-discipline, dedication, and success on and off the track motivate the rest of us to make every practice count,” said freshman teammate Lauryn Williams.

In her junior year, Clarke broke her own triple jump record at the Miami Gatorade Classic with a leap of 13.33 meters. She is the only jumper in UM history to earn All-American honors by placing first at both the NCAA indoor and outdoor championships in the same season (2001).

“I work hard at practice and I strive to do my best,” said Clarke. “I am in this position because I can do it and others believe in my talent. Once you believe that within yourself, anything is possible.”

Clarke will graduate this June with a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology. She has aspirations of continuing her track career on a professional level.

Clarke and the Hurricanes will compete tomorrow at the Florida International University track and field invitational meet in Miami.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...