Wireless Internet covers UM

Security improvements are in store for wireless Internet service on campus, according to Orlando Pimienta, project manager for telecommunications on campus.

The IT program, under the leadership of Dean Lew Temares, is also working on constructing a log-off screen, so that only the designated user can close the window they are working in.

Currently, users must log in every four hours to ensure that the person using the computer is actually the person who originally logged in.

With about 400 UM students taking advantage of the wireless Internet coverage on campus, the department of Information Technology is determined to continue, improve and expand the service.

“The goal is to cover the entire campus with wireless Internet access,” Pimienta said, “so students can use their computers to surf the web anywhere.”

UM began installing Wireless Internet service on campus in December 2000.

Installation began in the on-campus apartment area, as those residents did not have the high speed ethernet connectivity that dorm residents have access to.

Now the wireless service spreads all over the school, including the University Center and many outdoor areas, as well as the fraternity houses.

Wireless high speed Internet access is available to everyone with a laptop and a pre-installed wireless card.

With this card, students have access to the Internet “unplugged,” or without the need to plug into a modem or the use of a telephone lines.

“It’s cool because I have to share a phone line with my three roommates,” said apartment area resident Carissa Shroeder. “With wireless, I don’t take up the phone line to check my email or do homework. And it’s really fast.”

The wireless Internet service costs the University about $300,000 to $00,000 a year, according to CaneNet, the UM student Internet network.

However, you can only use it if you purchase a wireless card, ranging between $110-$150, and available at the Technology Products Center on campus, or at any computer store.

Students who choose not to connect to the wireless Internet said they don’t because of the slightly high price, and also because it is unnecessary.

“If you live in a dorm, you do not really need this. You have great ethernet access in your dorm room,” said Pearson resident Daniel Brown. “And the service is so fast. It’s one of the reasons I like living on campus.”

Also, the card does not give access to the Internet off-campus. Thus, if someone wanted to take their laptop with them to Cancun over Spring Break, they would have no connection.

Anyone wanting to purchase a card or needs more information can go through CaneNet at 305-284-6565, ext. 3, or at www.CaneNet.miami.edu or call the Technology Products Center at 305-284-2000.

There is also a map available on the UM web site that gives the exact locations that wireless Internet is available on campus.

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...