UM students prepare for Alternative Spring Break 2002

What are your plans for spring break? Chances are, you’ll be spending your time doing nothing at home or hitting the beach and the night scene if you opt to remain in Miami.

Not for some University of Miami students.

These students are taking the initiative to jazz up their spring break by participating in Alternative Spring Break [ASB], a volunteer student organization that assists communities nationwide.

“The students are basically immersed into the local communities where they are working with specific issues,” said Yasmin Bootwala, chair of Alternative Spring Break.

“The issues range from camps for children with cranio-facial disorders; welfare rights issues in the third poorest district in the nation; to working with fine arts in the schools. This year we have about 70 participants,” Bootwala said.

Alternative Spring Break began at the University of Miami about twelve years ago when Hurricane Andrew hit.

Volunteers joined together to help the people who were affected by rebuilding a destroyed community.

Since then, ASB has become a large, well-developed program that plans to send students to eleven sites nationwide, including Orlando where they will tackle a long-held concern about urban poverty by helping the elderly; Arizona, to help victims of domestic violence; and Louisiana, to lend a hand in wetland restoration.

Alternative Spring Break draws students from all majors, as well as professors who are interested in the issues and who hope to have more contact with the students.

Students began preparing for Alternative Spring Break 2002 by filling out an application in the fall, followed by an interview. The first meeting was held last December.

Alternative Spring Break holds several fundraisers to raise money for the trips. “We did a wonderfully successful ASB raffle this year,” Bootwala said.

“We will have our semesterly buffet fundraiser on April 2nd on the UC patio under the canopy at lunch time. We appreciate all support that we can get,” she added.

Students eager to participate in the next ASB might not have to wait until spring break 2003 to get involved.

“We hope to offer a fall break site next year for the long weekend to give more people an alternative break experience even if they cannot go over spring break. Winter trips are also on the horizon of possibilities,” Bootwala said.

Making use of the time students have off from classes is important, not only for having a memorable experience but for promoting personal growth-this is what Alternative Spring Break has to offer to their participants.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...