UM faces fish in wet weather

There is no better way to prepare a team for the major league baseball regular season than to play an exhibition game against the defending national college baseball champions.

After dropping two of three in a tough West Coast trip last weekend, the Miami Hurricanes (9-6) returned home to play host to the Florida Marlins.

Mother Nature did not cooperate and the game went just three innings before getting postponed due to rain. The ‘Canes mounted a five-run rally in the 3rd inning to tie the game at 5-5 before it was called. Despite the short affair, the Hurricanes came out of the contest with much to be proud of.

Miami held their own for three innings against a major league team, which made the game that much more pleasurable.

“Our guys enjoyed the game. They get very excited when they get the opportunity to play a big league club,” said head coach Jim Morris after the rain-shortened game.

The Hurricanes came out of the gate nervous and trailed 5-0 going into the bottom of the 3rd. However, after loading the bases, Coach Morris went to his bench.

Freshman Joey Hoof hit a two-run single off pitcher Benito Baez to put the Hurricanes on the board at 5-2. After a Paco Figueroa walk to re-load the bases, Marlins pitcher Brian Edmonson came on to try to bail the fish out. Freshman Greg Dini hit a sacrifice fly RBI and Brad Satchik followed with an RBI single to bring the Canes back within a run. A Marlins error allowed Paco Figueroa to score and the game was tied at 5-5 compliments of the Miami freshmen.

“I like the way we battled back from 5 down to tie it up. The young guys did it. They were the ones who came back and got it done,” said Coach Morris.

The Hurricanes started freshman Vince Bongiovanni, who allowed three earned runs in the first inning, but also struck out three Marlins, including Preston Wilson. Bongiovanni held the Marlins scoreless in the second and finished with three hits, three earned runs, one walk and three strikeouts. He also hit two

Freshman Brandon Camardese handled the top of the third inning, allowing three hits, two earned runs, one walk and one strikeout.

Miami returns to regular season action tonight when they open a three game series with the South Florida Bulls at Mark Light Stadium.

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...