UM faces fish in wet weather

There is no better way to prepare a team for the major league baseball regular season than to play an exhibition game against the defending national college baseball champions.

After dropping two of three in a tough West Coast trip last weekend, the Miami Hurricanes (9-6) returned home to play host to the Florida Marlins.

Mother Nature did not cooperate and the game went just three innings before getting postponed due to rain. The ‘Canes mounted a five-run rally in the 3rd inning to tie the game at 5-5 before it was called. Despite the short affair, the Hurricanes came out of the contest with much to be proud of.

Miami held their own for three innings against a major league team, which made the game that much more pleasurable.

“Our guys enjoyed the game. They get very excited when they get the opportunity to play a big league club,” said head coach Jim Morris after the rain-shortened game.

The Hurricanes came out of the gate nervous and trailed 5-0 going into the bottom of the 3rd. However, after loading the bases, Coach Morris went to his bench.

Freshman Joey Hoof hit a two-run single off pitcher Benito Baez to put the Hurricanes on the board at 5-2. After a Paco Figueroa walk to re-load the bases, Marlins pitcher Brian Edmonson came on to try to bail the fish out. Freshman Greg Dini hit a sacrifice fly RBI and Brad Satchik followed with an RBI single to bring the Canes back within a run. A Marlins error allowed Paco Figueroa to score and the game was tied at 5-5 compliments of the Miami freshmen.

“I like the way we battled back from 5 down to tie it up. The young guys did it. They were the ones who came back and got it done,” said Coach Morris.

The Hurricanes started freshman Vince Bongiovanni, who allowed three earned runs in the first inning, but also struck out three Marlins, including Preston Wilson. Bongiovanni held the Marlins scoreless in the second and finished with three hits, three earned runs, one walk and three strikeouts. He also hit two

Freshman Brandon Camardese handled the top of the third inning, allowing three hits, two earned runs, one walk and one strikeout.

Miami returns to regular season action tonight when they open a three game series with the South Florida Bulls at Mark Light Stadium.

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...