UM faces fish in wet weather

There is no better way to prepare a team for the major league baseball regular season than to play an exhibition game against the defending national college baseball champions.

After dropping two of three in a tough West Coast trip last weekend, the Miami Hurricanes (9-6) returned home to play host to the Florida Marlins.

Mother Nature did not cooperate and the game went just three innings before getting postponed due to rain. The ‘Canes mounted a five-run rally in the 3rd inning to tie the game at 5-5 before it was called. Despite the short affair, the Hurricanes came out of the contest with much to be proud of.

Miami held their own for three innings against a major league team, which made the game that much more pleasurable.

“Our guys enjoyed the game. They get very excited when they get the opportunity to play a big league club,” said head coach Jim Morris after the rain-shortened game.

The Hurricanes came out of the gate nervous and trailed 5-0 going into the bottom of the 3rd. However, after loading the bases, Coach Morris went to his bench.

Freshman Joey Hoof hit a two-run single off pitcher Benito Baez to put the Hurricanes on the board at 5-2. After a Paco Figueroa walk to re-load the bases, Marlins pitcher Brian Edmonson came on to try to bail the fish out. Freshman Greg Dini hit a sacrifice fly RBI and Brad Satchik followed with an RBI single to bring the Canes back within a run. A Marlins error allowed Paco Figueroa to score and the game was tied at 5-5 compliments of the Miami freshmen.

“I like the way we battled back from 5 down to tie it up. The young guys did it. They were the ones who came back and got it done,” said Coach Morris.

The Hurricanes started freshman Vince Bongiovanni, who allowed three earned runs in the first inning, but also struck out three Marlins, including Preston Wilson. Bongiovanni held the Marlins scoreless in the second and finished with three hits, three earned runs, one walk and three strikeouts. He also hit two

Freshman Brandon Camardese handled the top of the third inning, allowing three hits, two earned runs, one walk and one strikeout.

Miami returns to regular season action tonight when they open a three game series with the South Florida Bulls at Mark Light Stadium.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...