Sports Briefs

SWIMMING AND DIVING
UM divers Michelle Davison and Kyle Prandi have prequalified for the 2002 World Cup Trials, which will be held at Cleveland State University in Ohio on April 20-21. Davison, a senior from Columbia, S.C., was named 2002 Big East Women’s Diver of the Year on February 24. She finished fifth in the women’s 3-meter final at the U.S. National Outdoor Diving Championships on August 7, 2001 in Fort Lauderdale to qualify. Prandi, a junior from Strongsville, Ohio, was the 2001 Big East Men’s Diver of the Year. He is the defending NCAA National Champion in the 10-meter platform and an All-American in the 3-meter springboard. Prandi finished second in the men’s platform finals at both the 2001 U.S. National Indoor and Outdoor Championships to qualify.

WOMEN’S GOLF
The University of Miami recorded a three-round total of 928 to finish second at the Lady Moc Classic held at Imperial Lakes Country Club in Lakeland, FL last weekend. Miami, who fired a final round 302, finished one stroke behind North Carolina State who shot a final round 300 en route to a three-round score of 927.
Miami’s top finisher was freshman Tina Miller, who recorded a 2-under-par 70 on Sunday to finish third. The Hurricanes had three players in the top-10 individually including sophomore Jazmin Cataldo who was fourth with a three-day total of 227, and sophomore Camilla Hilland who took sixth with a three-round score of 229.

WOMEN’S BIG EAST TOURNAMENT
Ashja Jones scored 19 points and Tamika Williams added 18 points as the Connecticut Huskies captured the Big East Championship with a 96-54 victory over Boston College on Tuesday. All five starters scored in double figures for the Huskies, who shot 59 percent from the field, and improved their overall record to 33-0. In the semifinals, the Huskies routed Villanove 83-39, as Diana Taurasi scored 23 points and grabbed six rebounds for Connecticut. Jessalyn Davey scored 20 points to lead Boston College to a 67-48 victory over Syracuse in the other semifinal matchup.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D in Durham, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Adria Soriano Barrera begins competition in the singles draw Monday at 5 p.m. with a contest against ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...