Sports Briefs

SWIMMING AND DIVING
UM divers Michelle Davison and Kyle Prandi have prequalified for the 2002 World Cup Trials, which will be held at Cleveland State University in Ohio on April 20-21. Davison, a senior from Columbia, S.C., was named 2002 Big East Women’s Diver of the Year on February 24. She finished fifth in the women’s 3-meter final at the U.S. National Outdoor Diving Championships on August 7, 2001 in Fort Lauderdale to qualify. Prandi, a junior from Strongsville, Ohio, was the 2001 Big East Men’s Diver of the Year. He is the defending NCAA National Champion in the 10-meter platform and an All-American in the 3-meter springboard. Prandi finished second in the men’s platform finals at both the 2001 U.S. National Indoor and Outdoor Championships to qualify.

WOMEN’S GOLF
The University of Miami recorded a three-round total of 928 to finish second at the Lady Moc Classic held at Imperial Lakes Country Club in Lakeland, FL last weekend. Miami, who fired a final round 302, finished one stroke behind North Carolina State who shot a final round 300 en route to a three-round score of 927.
Miami’s top finisher was freshman Tina Miller, who recorded a 2-under-par 70 on Sunday to finish third. The Hurricanes had three players in the top-10 individually including sophomore Jazmin Cataldo who was fourth with a three-day total of 227, and sophomore Camilla Hilland who took sixth with a three-round score of 229.

WOMEN’S BIG EAST TOURNAMENT
Ashja Jones scored 19 points and Tamika Williams added 18 points as the Connecticut Huskies captured the Big East Championship with a 96-54 victory over Boston College on Tuesday. All five starters scored in double figures for the Huskies, who shot 59 percent from the field, and improved their overall record to 33-0. In the semifinals, the Huskies routed Villanove 83-39, as Diana Taurasi scored 23 points and grabbed six rebounds for Connecticut. Jessalyn Davey scored 20 points to lead Boston College to a 67-48 victory over Syracuse in the other semifinal matchup.

University of Miami students share their thoughts and impressions as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris take the helm. ...

Following Wednesday’s historic event, University of Miami experts in various fields provide their insight on the biggest challenges facing the new administration. ...

As part of the “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative, the University of Miami advances the art of teaching and the science of learning by partnering with students, alumni, and others to offer options throughout the entire adult learning life cycle. ...

University of Miami experts weigh the merit and consequences of amending or repealing the communications law that provides a legal shield for service providers from the words, images, and videos posted by their users. ...

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...