Letter to the Editor

To the editor:

I write to the athlete who directed an unsolicited slur at me outside the parking garage last Tuesday afternoon (3/5). You were warming up in uniform along with your peers around 3:30 and tastelessly exclaimed “Bin Laden!” when you saw me ascending the stairs.

The sight of my turban probably impelled you to audibly equate me with our modern-day Hitler, and you were obviously unaware that most people who continue to wear turbans outside their homeland are Sikhs.

In fact, we are monotheists from India whose entire religion can be reduced to a holy trinity of divine remembrance, honest work, and selfless charity.

As an athlete who strives to achieve self-discipline by balancing intense physical training with equally rigorous academic obligations, you are held to a higher standard than most people. Courage, strength, and good sportsmanship elevate an athlete to the rank of full-fledged statesman.

Indeed, you are a torchbearer for our University, and a potential role model for thousands of football fans.

I wish you much luck in your endeavors. And I want you to know that your unforgettably hurtful comment thoroughly ruined my day.

Godspeed,

Raj Singh

The University of Miami has joined forces with a national collaborative to help raise awareness and ...

Political scientist Calla Hummel, who was in Bolivia during its flawed election, shares her insights ...

University of Miami Frost School of Music alumni are recognized on Latin music’s biggest night—the 2 ...

A new course is providing students a primer on planning the Super Bowl, one of the biggest events of ...

A week full of spirit, friendly competition and ’Canes pride was on display during Homecoming and Al ...

Jim Larrañaga oftentimes told Bruce Brown that his path to a successful NBA career was at the point ...

Following a win in its first road game of the season, the Miami men's basketball team will resu ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. - University of Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced th ...

Emma Langlois and five members of the men's cross country team return to Tallahassee for the NC ...