Letter to the Editor

To the editor:

I write to the athlete who directed an unsolicited slur at me outside the parking garage last Tuesday afternoon (3/5). You were warming up in uniform along with your peers around 3:30 and tastelessly exclaimed “Bin Laden!” when you saw me ascending the stairs.

The sight of my turban probably impelled you to audibly equate me with our modern-day Hitler, and you were obviously unaware that most people who continue to wear turbans outside their homeland are Sikhs.

In fact, we are monotheists from India whose entire religion can be reduced to a holy trinity of divine remembrance, honest work, and selfless charity.

As an athlete who strives to achieve self-discipline by balancing intense physical training with equally rigorous academic obligations, you are held to a higher standard than most people. Courage, strength, and good sportsmanship elevate an athlete to the rank of full-fledged statesman.

Indeed, you are a torchbearer for our University, and a potential role model for thousands of football fans.

I wish you much luck in your endeavors. And I want you to know that your unforgettably hurtful comment thoroughly ruined my day.

Godspeed,

Raj Singh

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...