‘Canes earn Big East honors

University of Miami senior guard John Salmons (Philadelphia, PA) and sophomore forward Darius Rice were named second-team All-Big East, while junior forward James Jones (Miami American) was named third-team All-Big East as selected by the league’s coaches. Salmons was also presented with the 2001-02 Big East Sportsmanship Award.

Salmons, a two-time Big East Player of the Week selection this season, has started all 29 games this season at point guard and is averaging 13.3 points, 5.9 rebounds, 6.1 assists and 1.9 steals per game. Salmons, a third-team All-Conference selection last season, has started 104 consecutive games for the Hurricanes and is the only player in school history to surpass 1000 career points (1255), 600 rebounds (667), 400 assists (414) and 150 steals (189).

Rice, Big East All-Rookie selection as a freshman last season, leads the team in scoring at 15.3 points per game and is second in rebounding at 6.1 rebounds per contest.

He has recorded 10 games of 20 or more points this season, and became the first Hurricane since Eric Brown in 1989 to record back-to-back games of 30-points or more. His 71 three-point baskets this season ranks second on UM’s all-time single season list behind Steven Edward who registered 79 treys during the 1992-93 season.

Jones, a 2002 Verizon Academic All-District selection, has been one of the most improved players in the Big East this season. He is averaging 13.2 points, a team-high 6.4 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 2.5 blocks per game. Jones’ 73 blocks this season ranks third on UM’s all-time single season list.

-Hurricanesports.com

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...