‘Canes earn Big East honors

University of Miami senior guard John Salmons (Philadelphia, PA) and sophomore forward Darius Rice were named second-team All-Big East, while junior forward James Jones (Miami American) was named third-team All-Big East as selected by the league’s coaches. Salmons was also presented with the 2001-02 Big East Sportsmanship Award.

Salmons, a two-time Big East Player of the Week selection this season, has started all 29 games this season at point guard and is averaging 13.3 points, 5.9 rebounds, 6.1 assists and 1.9 steals per game. Salmons, a third-team All-Conference selection last season, has started 104 consecutive games for the Hurricanes and is the only player in school history to surpass 1000 career points (1255), 600 rebounds (667), 400 assists (414) and 150 steals (189).

Rice, Big East All-Rookie selection as a freshman last season, leads the team in scoring at 15.3 points per game and is second in rebounding at 6.1 rebounds per contest.

He has recorded 10 games of 20 or more points this season, and became the first Hurricane since Eric Brown in 1989 to record back-to-back games of 30-points or more. His 71 three-point baskets this season ranks second on UM’s all-time single season list behind Steven Edward who registered 79 treys during the 1992-93 season.

Jones, a 2002 Verizon Academic All-District selection, has been one of the most improved players in the Big East this season. He is averaging 13.2 points, a team-high 6.4 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 2.5 blocks per game. Jones’ 73 blocks this season ranks third on UM’s all-time single season list.

-Hurricanesports.com

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...