‘Canes earn Big East honors

University of Miami senior guard John Salmons (Philadelphia, PA) and sophomore forward Darius Rice were named second-team All-Big East, while junior forward James Jones (Miami American) was named third-team All-Big East as selected by the league’s coaches. Salmons was also presented with the 2001-02 Big East Sportsmanship Award.

Salmons, a two-time Big East Player of the Week selection this season, has started all 29 games this season at point guard and is averaging 13.3 points, 5.9 rebounds, 6.1 assists and 1.9 steals per game. Salmons, a third-team All-Conference selection last season, has started 104 consecutive games for the Hurricanes and is the only player in school history to surpass 1000 career points (1255), 600 rebounds (667), 400 assists (414) and 150 steals (189).

Rice, Big East All-Rookie selection as a freshman last season, leads the team in scoring at 15.3 points per game and is second in rebounding at 6.1 rebounds per contest.

He has recorded 10 games of 20 or more points this season, and became the first Hurricane since Eric Brown in 1989 to record back-to-back games of 30-points or more. His 71 three-point baskets this season ranks second on UM’s all-time single season list behind Steven Edward who registered 79 treys during the 1992-93 season.

Jones, a 2002 Verizon Academic All-District selection, has been one of the most improved players in the Big East this season. He is averaging 13.2 points, a team-high 6.4 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 2.5 blocks per game. Jones’ 73 blocks this season ranks third on UM’s all-time single season list.

-Hurricanesports.com

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D in Durham, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Adria Soriano Barrera begins competition in the singles draw Monday at 5 p.m. with a contest against ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...