Anniversary show sends professors back to school

On Friday, March 22, 2002, the Equity Playhouse celebrates its 40th anniversary with the production of Back Then When, an off-th- wall look at the life of a typical law student. If you are curious as to what it must be like to attend law school, or have ever wanted to switch places with a professor after an embarrassing moment, then this show is for you.

It focuses on a group of law professors who are sent back to the days when they were young law students, and are subjected to the same horrors that they inflict on their own students. It is truly a student’s dreams come true. This is a great opportunity to support fellow University of Miami students who have been hard at work for months preparing for this show.

This year’s show takes on special meaning as Jeffrey Norkin, a UM and Equity Playhouse alumnus, comes back to take on the role of Professor Richard Hausler, one of the Law School’s most beloved professors, who after teaching at the law school for 52 years, passed away in March of 2000. Professor Hausler loved attending the Equity Playhouse shows year after year.

The Equity Playhouse has been putting odd twists on things since 1962. Back then, a young law student named Ted Klein was singing songs in the Law Review Office and a gorgeous young student named Taylor Mattis looked up at him and said, “Let’s put on a show!” They did, and Equity Playhouse was born.

In 1992, Equity Playhouse became an official organization, making it the only school-sponsored group whose stated purpose is to make levity of this supposedly austere institution. Equity Playhouse is a student run organization with no interference from administration other than making sure that the show is tasteful. The shows generally last about two hours, with a fifteen-minute intermission, wrapped up with a cast party.

Back Then When was written by Linda Calambas and Valerie Maurer, and is directed by Calambas. Other than the special appearance by Norkin, the cast is made up entirely of law school students.

The show will be held on Friday March 22 in the Auditorium at Ponce De Leon Middle School, 5801 Augusta Street, right across from Burger King and Book Horizons. Doors open at 6:00 p.m. and the show starting at 7:00 p.m.

Tickets are only $5.00 for students and $10.00 for faculty and alumni, and can be purchased between March 4-7 and March 18-21 between 12-6 p.m. on the bricks (the patio right in front of Subway). Tickets are also available at the door. All tickets include an entry to Sandbar in Coconut Grove, a $1 discount on a drink, and cake, compliments of Equity Playhouse.

The University of Miami’s Cuban Heritage Collection will host its third New Directions in Cuban Stud ...

The University of Miami is naming its business school in honor of Patti and Allan Herbert for their ...

Lucha Latina celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month by highlighting Central American culture. ...

The Frost School of Music’s Valerie Coleman, who heads to Carnegie Hall tonight with the Philadelphi ...

Engineering students at the University of Miami combine inventive materials with a new construction ...

Keith Stone had a bevy of options to pick from when deciding where to spend his final year as a coll ...

University of Miami junior cornerback Trajan Bandy was named ACC Defensive Back of the Week after a ...

Shannon McCarthy and BIIK Kazygurt are set to face off against FC Bayern Munich in the UEFA Champion ...

The Hurricanes got a much-needed conference win Friday night over Virginia. Now Miami looks to build ...

Kristina Fisher registers her 17th career assist to move into second on the program's all-time ...