Anniversary show sends professors back to school

On Friday, March 22, 2002, the Equity Playhouse celebrates its 40th anniversary with the production of Back Then When, an off-th- wall look at the life of a typical law student. If you are curious as to what it must be like to attend law school, or have ever wanted to switch places with a professor after an embarrassing moment, then this show is for you.

It focuses on a group of law professors who are sent back to the days when they were young law students, and are subjected to the same horrors that they inflict on their own students. It is truly a student’s dreams come true. This is a great opportunity to support fellow University of Miami students who have been hard at work for months preparing for this show.

This year’s show takes on special meaning as Jeffrey Norkin, a UM and Equity Playhouse alumnus, comes back to take on the role of Professor Richard Hausler, one of the Law School’s most beloved professors, who after teaching at the law school for 52 years, passed away in March of 2000. Professor Hausler loved attending the Equity Playhouse shows year after year.

The Equity Playhouse has been putting odd twists on things since 1962. Back then, a young law student named Ted Klein was singing songs in the Law Review Office and a gorgeous young student named Taylor Mattis looked up at him and said, “Let’s put on a show!” They did, and Equity Playhouse was born.

In 1992, Equity Playhouse became an official organization, making it the only school-sponsored group whose stated purpose is to make levity of this supposedly austere institution. Equity Playhouse is a student run organization with no interference from administration other than making sure that the show is tasteful. The shows generally last about two hours, with a fifteen-minute intermission, wrapped up with a cast party.

Back Then When was written by Linda Calambas and Valerie Maurer, and is directed by Calambas. Other than the special appearance by Norkin, the cast is made up entirely of law school students.

The show will be held on Friday March 22 in the Auditorium at Ponce De Leon Middle School, 5801 Augusta Street, right across from Burger King and Book Horizons. Doors open at 6:00 p.m. and the show starting at 7:00 p.m.

Tickets are only $5.00 for students and $10.00 for faculty and alumni, and can be purchased between March 4-7 and March 18-21 between 12-6 p.m. on the bricks (the patio right in front of Subway). Tickets are also available at the door. All tickets include an entry to Sandbar in Coconut Grove, a $1 discount on a drink, and cake, compliments of Equity Playhouse.

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...