The case for the pro-life plate

I wonder if the prison inmates who make license plates find it ironic when they make those ones that say “Choose Life.” You know the ones; everyone has seen them on numerous cars all over the roads. Of course, I don’t personally know how many people have been on their way to the abortion clinic, cursing the bad traffic, when they notice one of these license plates and decide to turn around and keep the baby. But even if the pro-life license plate has not had quite that much of an affect, it enables the driver of the car to make a strong and often times socially unpopular statement.

That statement begs the question: Does the state have the right to put it on a license plate? Well, I believe that they do, and here’s why. The license plates are not paid for with tax dollars, but are funded by the actual sales of the plates. Therefore, if I don’t buy one, I don’t contribute to their production. So why shouldn’t people who have strong moral standards be able to broadcast them as they see fit?

I have heard many people comment that they find the “Choose Life” plates offensive. After all, the state doesn’t make a “Woman has the right to choose” plate, so why should those pro-lifers get all the advantage? But the facts remain, if someone wants to privately fund the production of a good, they should have the right to do that, even if it endorses personal beliefs that may be offensive to some. Look at the license plates begging us to save the manatees. Although most people would not find anything wrong with personally endorsing such a humanitarian issue, I am sure that there are a number of drunk fishermen sitting in their boats who feel very angry about it right now.

My personal feelings about abortion aside, I think that these license plates are a good thing. In an age of such crippling political correctness, when it seems safest to pretend that you don’t believe in anything, I like to see people who have the courage to lay themselves on the line and take responsibility for their beliefs. This country was started so that everyone would be able to believe in what they want and tell the world about it if they want to. And anyone who doesn’t care to listen is free to ignore them.

So kudos to the “Choose Life” plate. After all, what better way is there to fight abortion than with a license plate right next to the “Real men love Jesus” bumper sticker?

Travis Atria is a sophomore majoring in English literature.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...