Sports Briefs

WOMENS TENNIS
The No. 30 University of Miami women’s tennis team outlasted No. 41 Florida State, defeating the Seminoles, 4-3, on Friday in Tallahassee, Fla. The Hurricanes improve their 2002 season record to 7-2, while the Seminoles fall to 6-6. Sophomore Mari Toro led the way defeating Anca Dumitrescu 7-6, 4-6, 7-5 at No. 1 singles. At the No. 2 position, senior Marcy Hora defeated Alida Gallovits in straight sets, 6-4, 7-5.
Freshman Ewelina Skaza had a strong outing defeating Lauren Walker 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 at the No. 5 position. At the No. 6 spot, freshman Sara Robbins outlasted Meredith Fish with a 7-6 (6), 4-6, 7-5 victory. The Hurricanes match with Harvard, scheduled for Saturday, was postponed due to inclement weather. Miami returns home to face the University of Virginia Monday, March 11 at 1:00 p.m. at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center

MEN’S AND WOMEN’S TRACK
University of Miami senior Aaron Moser (Bonne Terre, MO) recorded a two-day total of 5,720 points and finished second in the heptathlon at the 2002 USA Men’s Indoor Heptathlon Championship in Chapel Hill, NC. All-American Kareen Clarke(Lithonic, GA) won the triple jump with a school-record leap of 13.40 meters (43-11.75) at the LSU NCAA Qualifier in Baton Rouge, LA. University of Miami junior Saraque Whittaker(Ft. Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas) finished second in the 400-meters a school-record time of 53.6, while senior All-American Wyllesheia Myrick (Miami Northwestern) finished third in the 200-meters with an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 24.08 at the Alex Wilson Invitational in Notre Dame, IN. The NCAA championships will be held May 29 – June 1 in Baton Rouge, LA.

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL HONORED BY BIG EAST
University of Miami women’s basketball junior guard Meghan Saake(Wellington, Fla.) was named 2001-02 BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Year by the league’s head coaches. Saake, also earning Honorable Mention honors, is the first Hurricane player to win the defensive award. Saake leads the BIG EAST in steals with 63 and ranks seventh among Division I players with 110 steals. Saake averaged 4.0 steals on the season and broke the school single season record for most steals (110) in the win over Boston College. Saake ranks fifth on UM’s all-time career list with 233 steals in her three-year career. Additionally, sophomore forward Chanivia Broussard(Miami, Fla.) was named All-BIG EAST Second-Team. Broussard averages a team-high 14.0 points, 4.2 rebounds and 2.1 steals per game. She is also averaging 1.2 blocks per game and is ranked fifth on Miami’s all-time career list with 62 blocked shots in her two-year career.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...