Culture

Greek Week ‘Mystery Event’ shows off ‘Nerds’

Last Friday, the Greek community gathered on the University Center patio for another exciting event celebrating Greek Week. The ‘Mystery Event’ was different from all the others, as participants did not know what the event was about, or what it entailed. Thus called a mystery.

Heather Davis and Pinar Alper, from Kappa Kappa Gamma, were very excited about the ‘Mystery Event.’ They had previously participated in the ‘Organized Cheer’ and ‘Olympic Day,’ as well as many others, and were looking forward to the dance-a-thon on Saturday. “We have worked hard on all of the events, especially the ‘Organized Cheer,’ which was my favorite”, Davis said. “My favorite was definitely ‘Olympic Day'”, added Alper.

The ‘Mystery Event’ began at 6 p.m. as the fraternities and sororities met on the UC patio.

Food and drinks were set up on the side of the patio, while a movie screen was set up in the pool area. After a nice dinner with friends, the crowd moved towards the pool area to watch the featured movie: 1984’s Revenge of the Nerds, a movie about nerds who form a fraternity to battle against the bullies in the Alpha Beta Fraternity.

Everyone gathered around the screen, either in chairs, or stretched out on the ground wrapped in blankets to keep warm on the cool, windy night.

The event was an overall success, despite the cool weather. It was a very relaxing evening; a great relief to many. A nice dinner and a movie outdoors surrounded by family and friends seemed to be the perfect ending to the week.

Greek Week began on Friday, February 22 and concluded on Sunday. There were many exciting events through out the week, including a dance-a-thon, ‘Organized Cheer,’ and ‘Olympic Day.’ All of the money raised will be given to the many charities to which the sororities and Fraternities contribute.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...