Florida’s pro-life plate violates

The news that a pro-life license plate was going to be produced was upsetting. The fact that proceeds from the new plate will go to pro-life foundations is appalling.

I find the fact that the state would allow such a license plate to be made in the first place not only a violation of the law established by Roe v. Wade, but also an infringement on the right to choose.

In 1973, the Supreme Court of the United States declared that in the first two trimesters a woman had the right to choose an abortion over caring to term, thus abolishing numerous state’s laws prohibiting the practice of abortion. The laws that prohibited abortion were entirely based on religion and moral beliefs of a small group of people. The Bill of Rights says that no one can be prohibited from having their own religion, but also that the state has no right to establish any general religious belief. Just as there is no state license plate that promotes a single religion, which would be an infringement on free exercise, there should be no plate that supports a belief that is based largely on religion.

The pro-life argument is an extreme conviction that denies individuals their right to make decisions about their bodies and wellbeing. But people have the right to do what they want with their own bodies. Once a belief begins to infringe upon another person’s right to choose a line has been crossed. The state government of Florida has crossed that line in allowing a pro-life license plate to be made.

Without a plate being made in opposition of anti-abortion champions, the government of Florida has made a statement that will forever deter my faith in our system of government. How dare a political body, or anyone else, tell me-or any other woman-what decisions we are to make about our bodies?

Denise Kolb is a sophomore majoring in criminology.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...