Battle of the Bands to take stage

On March 21st approximately six bands will take the stage and launch the first “Battle of the Bands” to be sponsored by QuantUM Entertainment and Hurricane Productions.

QuantUM is an on-campus entertainment organization aimed at giving a wide range of students a chance to participate, said Mike McCormick, vice president of creative affairs.

They decided to collaborate rather than compete with Hurricane Productions in order to produce a quality event, McCormick said.

Last semester, QuantUM produced the student-run production of Grease.

“We didn’t have time to put together a full production like Grease again. Also, the Battle of the Bands would allow us to enter into another realm of endeavor,” McCormick said.

So far, QuantUM has not veered out of the area of theatre.

Auditions were open last Saturday to any South Florida Band hoping to land a 10-30 minute time slot in the competition for the title and the honor of being the finest band in the area.

According to McCormick, approximately 1000 people are expected to view “The Battle of the Bands,” including radio personalities, event sponsors, and record label scouts.

“We’re trying to get DJs from Zeta 94.9 FM and a reporter or anchor from channel 7 news as judges,” McCormick said.

The names of the six bands chosen to participate, as well as the master of ceremonies for the Battle of the Bands will be posted in the next issue of the Hurricane.

Winners of this musical showcase will receive prizes ranging from gift certificates to CDs to recording products and equipment.

The Battle Of The Bands will take place 6 to 10 p.m. on March 21 at the University Center Patio.

The event will be free for all University of Miami students and $5 for all non-UM students.

“Those looking for that local South Florida sound should mark their calendars. This is an evening not to be missed,” McCormick said.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D in Durham, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Adria Soriano Barrera begins competition in the singles draw Monday at 5 p.m. with a contest against ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...