Battle of the Bands to take stage

On March 21st approximately six bands will take the stage and launch the first “Battle of the Bands” to be sponsored by QuantUM Entertainment and Hurricane Productions.

QuantUM is an on-campus entertainment organization aimed at giving a wide range of students a chance to participate, said Mike McCormick, vice president of creative affairs.

They decided to collaborate rather than compete with Hurricane Productions in order to produce a quality event, McCormick said.

Last semester, QuantUM produced the student-run production of Grease.

“We didn’t have time to put together a full production like Grease again. Also, the Battle of the Bands would allow us to enter into another realm of endeavor,” McCormick said.

So far, QuantUM has not veered out of the area of theatre.

Auditions were open last Saturday to any South Florida Band hoping to land a 10-30 minute time slot in the competition for the title and the honor of being the finest band in the area.

According to McCormick, approximately 1000 people are expected to view “The Battle of the Bands,” including radio personalities, event sponsors, and record label scouts.

“We’re trying to get DJs from Zeta 94.9 FM and a reporter or anchor from channel 7 news as judges,” McCormick said.

The names of the six bands chosen to participate, as well as the master of ceremonies for the Battle of the Bands will be posted in the next issue of the Hurricane.

Winners of this musical showcase will receive prizes ranging from gift certificates to CDs to recording products and equipment.

The Battle Of The Bands will take place 6 to 10 p.m. on March 21 at the University Center Patio.

The event will be free for all University of Miami students and $5 for all non-UM students.

“Those looking for that local South Florida sound should mark their calendars. This is an evening not to be missed,” McCormick said.

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...