Battle of the Bands to take stage

On March 21st approximately six bands will take the stage and launch the first “Battle of the Bands” to be sponsored by QuantUM Entertainment and Hurricane Productions.

QuantUM is an on-campus entertainment organization aimed at giving a wide range of students a chance to participate, said Mike McCormick, vice president of creative affairs.

They decided to collaborate rather than compete with Hurricane Productions in order to produce a quality event, McCormick said.

Last semester, QuantUM produced the student-run production of Grease.

“We didn’t have time to put together a full production like Grease again. Also, the Battle of the Bands would allow us to enter into another realm of endeavor,” McCormick said.

So far, QuantUM has not veered out of the area of theatre.

Auditions were open last Saturday to any South Florida Band hoping to land a 10-30 minute time slot in the competition for the title and the honor of being the finest band in the area.

According to McCormick, approximately 1000 people are expected to view “The Battle of the Bands,” including radio personalities, event sponsors, and record label scouts.

“We’re trying to get DJs from Zeta 94.9 FM and a reporter or anchor from channel 7 news as judges,” McCormick said.

The names of the six bands chosen to participate, as well as the master of ceremonies for the Battle of the Bands will be posted in the next issue of the Hurricane.

Winners of this musical showcase will receive prizes ranging from gift certificates to CDs to recording products and equipment.

The Battle Of The Bands will take place 6 to 10 p.m. on March 21 at the University Center Patio.

The event will be free for all University of Miami students and $5 for all non-UM students.

“Those looking for that local South Florida sound should mark their calendars. This is an evening not to be missed,” McCormick said.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...