A slice of Guatemala in Miami

A few months ago, a moderate case of homesickness triggered severe hunger pangs for Guatemalan food. The mere sound of the words enchilada, chuchito and rellenito launched my saliva production into maximum overdrive. Intent on satiating my craving, I called the consulate hoping someone at the diplomatic corps could help me. There, I was referred to a Guatemalan travel agent who, in turn, referred me to Antigua Guatemala, a quaint little restaurant just west of West 27 Avenue on Flagler Street.

The external impression may make some wary. The place looks like a hole in the wall; a somewhat run-down structure in a shady area of town. But the interior of the eatery, named after the first Guatemalan capital that was once a famous colonial hub of the Spanish empire, is an upscale version of a small-town Guatemalan restaurant.

The d

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...