‘Organized Cheer’ showcases Greek talent

A whole lot of shaking and dancing took place Wednesday evening at the UC Patio as five fraternities and six sororities gathered to “cheer on” Greek Week.

Over three hundred people bundled up in the 60-degree weather to participate in what the Greek society calls “Organized Cheer.”

“The main purpose for this event,” explained Greek Week co-advisor Jeff Glauser, “is to accentuate the positives of what our community provides and integrate the entire campus as well… we’re here to show our stuff.”

Indeed they did.

Each sorority and fraternity participating in Organized Cheer spent weeks preparing a routine to showcase their pride, spirit, and patriotism toward their organization and community.

“This event is fun and brings all the organizations together and raises money for a good cause,” said Zeta Tau Alpha Devon Micone.

Acts ranged from an old-fashioned hillbilly dance routine by the straw-hat adorned members of Sigma Chi to an “American Cheer” by Tri Delta’s sassy ‘American Women’, to an unforgettable act of cross-dressing by a Lambda Chi Alpha member.

Although this was a competitive event, everyone seemed to be having fun.

“I came out here to watch the beautiful Delta Gamma’s shake their thang,” said student observer Patrick Feeney.

A spin-off of MTV’s “Singled Out” game show was held between cheers.

In the first half of this event, Pi Kappa Alpha member Andy Spears won a date with “Greek Goddess” Margaux Manley of Sigma Delta Tau.

Shannon Keating of Delta Gamma also landed a date with Andrew Foti from Lambda Chi Alpha after doing a rendition of Meg Ryan’s infamous orgasm scene from the movie When Harry Met Sally.

Although the primary purpose of Wednesday’s event is to promote Greek unity and pride, the organizations also raised money for a charitable cause.

Funds raised during Greek Week go to the United Cerebral Palsy foundation to raise awareness and money for research.

“I’m here,” says Sig Ep member Scott Rubenstein, “because I’m a part of something that believes in unity and a sense of community.”

Results of Wednesday’s “Organized Cheer” will be released today.

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...