‘Organized Cheer’ showcases Greek talent

A whole lot of shaking and dancing took place Wednesday evening at the UC Patio as five fraternities and six sororities gathered to “cheer on” Greek Week.

Over three hundred people bundled up in the 60-degree weather to participate in what the Greek society calls “Organized Cheer.”

“The main purpose for this event,” explained Greek Week co-advisor Jeff Glauser, “is to accentuate the positives of what our community provides and integrate the entire campus as well… we’re here to show our stuff.”

Indeed they did.

Each sorority and fraternity participating in Organized Cheer spent weeks preparing a routine to showcase their pride, spirit, and patriotism toward their organization and community.

“This event is fun and brings all the organizations together and raises money for a good cause,” said Zeta Tau Alpha Devon Micone.

Acts ranged from an old-fashioned hillbilly dance routine by the straw-hat adorned members of Sigma Chi to an “American Cheer” by Tri Delta’s sassy ‘American Women’, to an unforgettable act of cross-dressing by a Lambda Chi Alpha member.

Although this was a competitive event, everyone seemed to be having fun.

“I came out here to watch the beautiful Delta Gamma’s shake their thang,” said student observer Patrick Feeney.

A spin-off of MTV’s “Singled Out” game show was held between cheers.

In the first half of this event, Pi Kappa Alpha member Andy Spears won a date with “Greek Goddess” Margaux Manley of Sigma Delta Tau.

Shannon Keating of Delta Gamma also landed a date with Andrew Foti from Lambda Chi Alpha after doing a rendition of Meg Ryan’s infamous orgasm scene from the movie When Harry Met Sally.

Although the primary purpose of Wednesday’s event is to promote Greek unity and pride, the organizations also raised money for a charitable cause.

Funds raised during Greek Week go to the United Cerebral Palsy foundation to raise awareness and money for research.

“I’m here,” says Sig Ep member Scott Rubenstein, “because I’m a part of something that believes in unity and a sense of community.”

Results of Wednesday’s “Organized Cheer” will be released today.

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...