‘Organized Cheer’ showcases Greek talent

A whole lot of shaking and dancing took place Wednesday evening at the UC Patio as five fraternities and six sororities gathered to “cheer on” Greek Week.

Over three hundred people bundled up in the 60-degree weather to participate in what the Greek society calls “Organized Cheer.”

“The main purpose for this event,” explained Greek Week co-advisor Jeff Glauser, “is to accentuate the positives of what our community provides and integrate the entire campus as well… we’re here to show our stuff.”

Indeed they did.

Each sorority and fraternity participating in Organized Cheer spent weeks preparing a routine to showcase their pride, spirit, and patriotism toward their organization and community.

“This event is fun and brings all the organizations together and raises money for a good cause,” said Zeta Tau Alpha Devon Micone.

Acts ranged from an old-fashioned hillbilly dance routine by the straw-hat adorned members of Sigma Chi to an “American Cheer” by Tri Delta’s sassy ‘American Women’, to an unforgettable act of cross-dressing by a Lambda Chi Alpha member.

Although this was a competitive event, everyone seemed to be having fun.

“I came out here to watch the beautiful Delta Gamma’s shake their thang,” said student observer Patrick Feeney.

A spin-off of MTV’s “Singled Out” game show was held between cheers.

In the first half of this event, Pi Kappa Alpha member Andy Spears won a date with “Greek Goddess” Margaux Manley of Sigma Delta Tau.

Shannon Keating of Delta Gamma also landed a date with Andrew Foti from Lambda Chi Alpha after doing a rendition of Meg Ryan’s infamous orgasm scene from the movie When Harry Met Sally.

Although the primary purpose of Wednesday’s event is to promote Greek unity and pride, the organizations also raised money for a charitable cause.

Funds raised during Greek Week go to the United Cerebral Palsy foundation to raise awareness and money for research.

“I’m here,” says Sig Ep member Scott Rubenstein, “because I’m a part of something that believes in unity and a sense of community.”

Results of Wednesday’s “Organized Cheer” will be released today.

A reflection on the unparalleled career of a true public servant, a man respected across the country ...

The improvements to the IM fields offer a safer, more efficient field for the University community. ...

President Donald Trump’s letter to the Turkish president has been looked at as undiplomatic and unpr ...

The LGBTQ Student Center and SpectrUM invite the UM community to show their true colors during LGBT ...

Miller School of Medicine students are visiting barbershops to offer free health screenings to Afric ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.