Higher voter turnout in SG election

The usual apathy that clouds UM student government elections seemed to have lifted during the three voting days for elections 2002 this week.

“We had about 150 people vote today,” said ballot monitor Sandy Angel. “And the numbers have been up all week.”

With over 20 candidates running for the various offices, reading the ballot was as difficult as choosing a flavor at Baskin-Robbins.

Wednesday was by far the busiest day for voting, as it was students’ last opportunity to decide who will be running the University next semester.

Renee Dickens Callan, advisor of the SG elections committee, said they usually expect about 800 students to vote, but this year it has been much higher.

“It’s a student thing,” Callan said. “Kids are getting out and becoming more involved. This entire project [the election]is pretty much student-run.”

Voting is one of the best ways individuals can influence the decisions that are made regarding student issues.

However, 800 votes out of an undergraduate student population of 13,197 represents only six percent of students.

“I had no idea about it,” said student Jessica Fine. “I don’t have to walk by the breezeway very often, so I guess I missed it.”

Commuter student Paul Saca said he felt that decisions made by SG do not seem to affect students living off campus very much.

“I really don’t care,” Saca said. “As long as I get to learn, it doesn’t matter what else happens.”

Other students complained that they did not know enough about the candidates to make an educated decision and therefore did not vote at all.

“I honestly don’t know much about the candidates, except my friend JD, who I voted for,” said student Rachel Ingram.

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

Miami redshirt senior quarterback Malik Rosier was named to the preseason watch list for the Manning ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...