Higher voter turnout in SG election

The usual apathy that clouds UM student government elections seemed to have lifted during the three voting days for elections 2002 this week.

“We had about 150 people vote today,” said ballot monitor Sandy Angel. “And the numbers have been up all week.”

With over 20 candidates running for the various offices, reading the ballot was as difficult as choosing a flavor at Baskin-Robbins.

Wednesday was by far the busiest day for voting, as it was students’ last opportunity to decide who will be running the University next semester.

Renee Dickens Callan, advisor of the SG elections committee, said they usually expect about 800 students to vote, but this year it has been much higher.

“It’s a student thing,” Callan said. “Kids are getting out and becoming more involved. This entire project [the election]is pretty much student-run.”

Voting is one of the best ways individuals can influence the decisions that are made regarding student issues.

However, 800 votes out of an undergraduate student population of 13,197 represents only six percent of students.

“I had no idea about it,” said student Jessica Fine. “I don’t have to walk by the breezeway very often, so I guess I missed it.”

Commuter student Paul Saca said he felt that decisions made by SG do not seem to affect students living off campus very much.

“I really don’t care,” Saca said. “As long as I get to learn, it doesn’t matter what else happens.”

Other students complained that they did not know enough about the candidates to make an educated decision and therefore did not vote at all.

“I honestly don’t know much about the candidates, except my friend JD, who I voted for,” said student Rachel Ingram.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...