Higher voter turnout in SG election

The usual apathy that clouds UM student government elections seemed to have lifted during the three voting days for elections 2002 this week.

“We had about 150 people vote today,” said ballot monitor Sandy Angel. “And the numbers have been up all week.”

With over 20 candidates running for the various offices, reading the ballot was as difficult as choosing a flavor at Baskin-Robbins.

Wednesday was by far the busiest day for voting, as it was students’ last opportunity to decide who will be running the University next semester.

Renee Dickens Callan, advisor of the SG elections committee, said they usually expect about 800 students to vote, but this year it has been much higher.

“It’s a student thing,” Callan said. “Kids are getting out and becoming more involved. This entire project [the election]is pretty much student-run.”

Voting is one of the best ways individuals can influence the decisions that are made regarding student issues.

However, 800 votes out of an undergraduate student population of 13,197 represents only six percent of students.

“I had no idea about it,” said student Jessica Fine. “I don’t have to walk by the breezeway very often, so I guess I missed it.”

Commuter student Paul Saca said he felt that decisions made by SG do not seem to affect students living off campus very much.

“I really don’t care,” Saca said. “As long as I get to learn, it doesn’t matter what else happens.”

Other students complained that they did not know enough about the candidates to make an educated decision and therefore did not vote at all.

“I honestly don’t know much about the candidates, except my friend JD, who I voted for,” said student Rachel Ingram.

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami became just the second Hurricanes playe ...

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...