Brothers’ Appreciation winners announced

At 7:22 p.m., the winners of Sigma Gamma Rho’s Brothers’ Appreciation Day competition were announced Tuesday at the Rathskeller, honoring junior Sha-Ron Prescott with first prize.

Sigma Gamma Rho uses 22 for all their events because the historically black sorority was founded in 1922.

Prescott, a junior in the School of Music was nominated by friend and classmate Vivian Jolley.

“I greatly appreciate it that people recognize my accomplishments,” Prescott said.

Jolley was unable to attend the event last night but said, “I am very proud of him and he deserves it.”

Each of the eight nominees received a yellow flower upon entering the Rat.

Prescott went on to say that the attention is hard to get used to.

Jolley said she was not at all surprised that Prescott won because she knew he was the type of person Sigma Gamma Rho was looking for.

“He has worked so hard for everything despite the obstacles he had to face,” Jolley said.

Jolley and Prescott have been friends for a year and she described him as an open and giving friend.

“He is always concerned about others and never burdened his story on anyone until I asked him about himself,” Jolley said.

The second place winner was Jason Starr who was nominated by Ashley Zephirin. Third place went to Bryan Jones, nominated by Stephanie Floris.

Three honorable mentions were also given by the Mu Nu Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho. They went to Ian Adams, Arthur Faison, and Benjamin E. Young, II.

The winners were chosen by the chapter for their personal involvement in the university and contributions to black culture, said Alecia Gail Gray, president of Sigma Gamma Rho.

Gray initiated the Brothers Appreciation Day to “appreciate, recognize, and acknowledge significant black men” at the University.

The event lasted about an hour and a half and consisted of poems read by the members of Sigma Gamma Rho, as well as songs performed by students Chanelle Mosley and Serina Guirantes.

“The event went very, very, very well and it went better than we expected because it was the first time we did this,” Gray said.

“We want to make it an annual event and part of the Black Awareness Month calendar,” Gray said.

The first place winner received a dinner for two at the Cheesecake Factory; the second place winner received two movie tickets; and the third place winner received a Blockbuster Video gift.

Anyone was allowed to nominate a black male affiliated with the University. The nominator was required to write a one-page essay about the nominee, explaining why he or she is a positive role model.