Brothers’ Appreciation winners announced

At 7:22 p.m., the winners of Sigma Gamma Rho’s Brothers’ Appreciation Day competition were announced Tuesday at the Rathskeller, honoring junior Sha-Ron Prescott with first prize.

Sigma Gamma Rho uses 22 for all their events because the historically black sorority was founded in 1922.

Prescott, a junior in the School of Music was nominated by friend and classmate Vivian Jolley.

“I greatly appreciate it that people recognize my accomplishments,” Prescott said.

Jolley was unable to attend the event last night but said, “I am very proud of him and he deserves it.”

Each of the eight nominees received a yellow flower upon entering the Rat.

Prescott went on to say that the attention is hard to get used to.

Jolley said she was not at all surprised that Prescott won because she knew he was the type of person Sigma Gamma Rho was looking for.

“He has worked so hard for everything despite the obstacles he had to face,” Jolley said.

Jolley and Prescott have been friends for a year and she described him as an open and giving friend.

“He is always concerned about others and never burdened his story on anyone until I asked him about himself,” Jolley said.

The second place winner was Jason Starr who was nominated by Ashley Zephirin. Third place went to Bryan Jones, nominated by Stephanie Floris.

Three honorable mentions were also given by the Mu Nu Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho. They went to Ian Adams, Arthur Faison, and Benjamin E. Young, II.

The winners were chosen by the chapter for their personal involvement in the university and contributions to black culture, said Alecia Gail Gray, president of Sigma Gamma Rho.

Gray initiated the Brothers Appreciation Day to “appreciate, recognize, and acknowledge significant black men” at the University.

The event lasted about an hour and a half and consisted of poems read by the members of Sigma Gamma Rho, as well as songs performed by students Chanelle Mosley and Serina Guirantes.

“The event went very, very, very well and it went better than we expected because it was the first time we did this,” Gray said.

“We want to make it an annual event and part of the Black Awareness Month calendar,” Gray said.

The first place winner received a dinner for two at the Cheesecake Factory; the second place winner received two movie tickets; and the third place winner received a Blockbuster Video gift.

Anyone was allowed to nominate a black male affiliated with the University. The nominator was required to write a one-page essay about the nominee, explaining why he or she is a positive role model.

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

It’s a rule Miami Hurricanes freshman defensive tackle Nesta Silvera knew about already. But in no w ...

A quick update from University of Miami football practice No. 8, two days after the first fall scrim ...

That dangerous University of Miami defense that dominated last season? Still dominating — the first- ...

Please don’t call DeeJay Dallas a running back. On second thought, you can call him a running back, ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...