‘The House of Yes’ delivers macabre comedy

The time is Thanksgiving. The place, McLean, a posh Virginia suburb near Washington, D.C. Twenty years after JFK’s assassination, one member of the Pascal clan has a fixation in her life: re-enacting the Kennedy assassination, handling her namesake’s role with zeal for incongruity.

The Jerry Herman Ring Theater becomes the setting for a family dinner where a lot of things are wrong and you start to worry because you hope they go even worse. Wendy MacLeod’s The House of Yes, subtitled a Suburban Jacobean Play, puts into practice the proverb that history repeats itself as farce.

Christina Valo’s disturbingly hilarious performance as Jackie O sets the pace for this eerily comedic play. Jacqueline got her nickname from a party she attended by dressing exactly as Jackie Kennedy, in a pink Chanel suit, adding a few realistic details such as blood and gray-dyed macaroni to look like brain tissue. As the family waits for Marty, the eldest son, a hurricane rages outside, but is no cause for concern.

Marty is Jackie-O’s identical twin, her partner in the re-enactment of the assassination and also partner in bed. He is the only man that can turn on Jackie-O. She is therefore jealous of Marty’s naive smalltown girlfriend, Lesly, whom he brings over for the dinner as a display of freedom from the smothering, tyrannical Mrs. Pascal.

Younger brother Arthur lacks social grace but tries his best to attract Lesly.

MacLeod’s realistic script challenges director Vincent Cardinal to let his actors relax and deliver their lines with precision. Valo’s Jackie-O is relentless in her seduction and sarcasm. She purrs, she mimics, she taunts, and she walks the fine line of sanity with so much allure that the play roars along with dark humor coatings shading the very macabre situation.

The House of Yes will be playing until March 2 at the Ring Theater.

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami became just the second Hurricanes playe ...

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...