Student Government Elections 2002 part 2

Kirk Hunter
Kirk Hunter is a junior majoring in broadcasting and political science

His platform includes the following:

1. Faster and more productive student government
2. Libraries and computer labs stay open 24 hours during finals.
3. Professors are required to post their syllabus prior to registration
4. More concessions in student government for minority and international students
5. Cap on tuition
6. ATM’s, HBO, Comedy Central, and Cartoon Network in all of the dorms.

Although Hunter has not had previous experience with Student Government, he has experience in the world of politics-Hunter worked with Councilwoman Goosby of New York the summer of 2001.

“All the other candidates come from the same system; a system that does not represent the students. The four candidates I’m running against are essentially the same candidate; if elected they will all continue the same process. This is really a two candidate race,” Hunter said. “I’m working for the majority.”

Mike Johnston
Mike Johnston is a junior majoring in industrial engineering.
He presently holds the positions of Speaker of the Senate and Student representative on the Board of Trustees
Listed are several major goals within Johnston’s platform:
1. Increase lighting on pathways on campus
2. Regulate the amount of edition changes in textbooks
3. Increase in cable channels on campus
4. Install ice machines in the dorm
5. Create a new senate seat for the Volunteer Service Center
6. Become more tuned in and active in WVUM
7. Expand IBISride shuttle service to Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights
“I’m the most experienced in Student Government,” Johnston said.
He has been active in SG since his freshman year, having held positions as freshman senator and Chief of Staff. During his SG career, Johnston has implemented a pilot recycling program in Hecht Residential College, the IBISride shuttle service to Coconut Grove, and the renovations to Hecht/Stanford Residential Dining Hall, which begin in May.
Johnston is running under the ticket, “A Change in U…’Cause it’s time,” with Justin Levine for vice president and Mahala Dar as treasurer.
“Our platform ideas are concrete ideas that can actually happen,” Johnston said. “We don’t want to beat around the bush, we want to get things done. We don’t to waste time talking; we’re going to have our ideas become a reality.”

Steve Priepke
Steve Priepke is a junior majoring in Political Science. His Student Government experience includes Chief of Staff (2001-present); Chairman of the academic affairs committee (Spring 2001); Mahoney Residential College Senator (2000-2001). He has also held positions as Golden Key international honor society treasurer; Undergraduate representative to the board of trustees; President Shalala’s Inaguration committee member; Honors student association member and as a Resident Assistant.
Listed are the major ideas in Priepke’s Platform:
1. Student Government unity and involvement
2. Better availability of information: “What student government is doing for U”
3. Improved campus programming
4. Promotion of UM heritage: This includes replacing the paintings in the residence halls with UM history/culture.
5. Increased apartment area security
Priepke plans on, “Putting the U back into Student Government”.
“Our ticket as a whole,” according to Priepke, “has more student government experience than any other ticket.”
He also states that only an average of 10 percent of students are active voters in the student government elections.
“Unlike the US presidential elections,” Priepke says, “your vote does count.”
“Is experience important? Is spirit important? Is integrity important?” Priepke asked. “You have to vote all about ‘U'”

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...