Student Government Elections 2002 part 1

Presidential candidates:

JD Barbosa JD
Barbosa is a senior majoring in finance and economics. He presently holds the positions of Category 5 co-chair (2000-present); Student Government Senator (1999-present); and President of the Association of Commuter Students (2000-present).
Listed are several major goals within Barbosa’s platform:
1. A “Resident’s Bill of Rights”
2. Thanksgiving break extension
3. Lower prices for textbooks
4. Academic Fairness: This series of issues include longer library hours; sample syllabi available online for students to review before they commit to specific classes; no examinations during homecoming; an increase in honors classes; extra points for A+ grades; no more than two exams a day; mandatory use of courses.miami.edu; and the incorporation of ACE’S on EASY.
5. Wellness center improvements: These include increasing the quantity of EFX 540 machines, flat benches, free-weight room, and a separate cardio room.
6. Communication between students and parking and transportation
“I feel like I am the only candidate that wants to work for the students and not for the administration,” Barbosa said.
“With my experience in Category 5, I’ve had a chance to work with those students who are interested in student government but not in the legislative aspect.”
In fact, Barbosa was instrumental in the creation of Category 5 two years ago and has seen it through to its present form today.

Zehev Benzaken
Zehev Benzaken is a sophomore majoring in biology.

Benzaken is a native of Manaus, Brazil, and was involved in student government in high school.

Listed are several major goals within Benzaken’s platform:

1. Create the President’s Thursday-where the SG president and/or vice president table in the breezeway to find out what students need and promote SG.
2. Promote SG among international students and other groups and give them representation in the SG senate.
3. Install other ATM’s-for example: First Union-and install more ATM’s all over the campus.
4. Install ice machines in the dorms.

Benzaken said that most of the SG presidential candidates have the same basic ideas.

“I am going to try to talk to all these people,” Benzaken said. “I want to listen to everybody and what they have to say.”

Stephanie Hernandez
Stephanie Hernandez is a junior majoring in political science and psychology with a minor in leadership.
She presently holds the positions of SG Speaker Pro Tempore; President’s 100; and Vice president of Phi Alpha Delta
Listed are several major goals within Hernandez’s platform:
1. Increase campus safety
2. Create an international students senate seat
3. Promote parking awareness
4. Increase in library hours
5. Increase participation of students in campus activities
6. Share resources between student organizations
7. Reduce overlapping of on-campus events
8. Continue student reach out week
9. Create a SG monthly forum, where all student leaders will be invited to discuss campus concerns
10. Create a calendar of events to be displayed in various locations
11. Televise a list of daily events in the UC
“When looking for a president it needs to be someone who has balance of getting things accomplished and getting along with people, knowing how to work with people,” Hernandez said.
“Not only do I have the experience but I have the best combination of effectiveness and people skills.”
“And I’m the only female,” she added.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...