Student Government Elections 2002 part 1

Presidential candidates:

JD Barbosa JD
Barbosa is a senior majoring in finance and economics. He presently holds the positions of Category 5 co-chair (2000-present); Student Government Senator (1999-present); and President of the Association of Commuter Students (2000-present).
Listed are several major goals within Barbosa’s platform:
1. A “Resident’s Bill of Rights”
2. Thanksgiving break extension
3. Lower prices for textbooks
4. Academic Fairness: This series of issues include longer library hours; sample syllabi available online for students to review before they commit to specific classes; no examinations during homecoming; an increase in honors classes; extra points for A+ grades; no more than two exams a day; mandatory use of courses.miami.edu; and the incorporation of ACE’S on EASY.
5. Wellness center improvements: These include increasing the quantity of EFX 540 machines, flat benches, free-weight room, and a separate cardio room.
6. Communication between students and parking and transportation
“I feel like I am the only candidate that wants to work for the students and not for the administration,” Barbosa said.
“With my experience in Category 5, I’ve had a chance to work with those students who are interested in student government but not in the legislative aspect.”
In fact, Barbosa was instrumental in the creation of Category 5 two years ago and has seen it through to its present form today.

Zehev Benzaken
Zehev Benzaken is a sophomore majoring in biology.

Benzaken is a native of Manaus, Brazil, and was involved in student government in high school.

Listed are several major goals within Benzaken’s platform:

1. Create the President’s Thursday-where the SG president and/or vice president table in the breezeway to find out what students need and promote SG.
2. Promote SG among international students and other groups and give them representation in the SG senate.
3. Install other ATM’s-for example: First Union-and install more ATM’s all over the campus.
4. Install ice machines in the dorms.

Benzaken said that most of the SG presidential candidates have the same basic ideas.

“I am going to try to talk to all these people,” Benzaken said. “I want to listen to everybody and what they have to say.”

Stephanie Hernandez
Stephanie Hernandez is a junior majoring in political science and psychology with a minor in leadership.
She presently holds the positions of SG Speaker Pro Tempore; President’s 100; and Vice president of Phi Alpha Delta
Listed are several major goals within Hernandez’s platform:
1. Increase campus safety
2. Create an international students senate seat
3. Promote parking awareness
4. Increase in library hours
5. Increase participation of students in campus activities
6. Share resources between student organizations
7. Reduce overlapping of on-campus events
8. Continue student reach out week
9. Create a SG monthly forum, where all student leaders will be invited to discuss campus concerns
10. Create a calendar of events to be displayed in various locations
11. Televise a list of daily events in the UC
“When looking for a president it needs to be someone who has balance of getting things accomplished and getting along with people, knowing how to work with people,” Hernandez said.
“Not only do I have the experience but I have the best combination of effectiveness and people skills.”
“And I’m the only female,” she added.

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...