Sports Briefs

SWIMMING
Manon van Rooijen was named the Big East Most Outstanding Swimmer after her performance at the Big East Swimming and Diving Championships in Uniondale, New York this weekend. The sophomore from Westdorpe, Holland won three individual events and one relay while breaking three Big East Championship records in the process. Van Rooijen now holds five school records including two individual and three relay marks. Van Rooijen won the 100-yard freestyle in 49.11 seconds. The mark breaks her old Big East and school record time of 49.88 seconds set on November 30th, 2001 at the U.S. Open. 6. In the 200-yard freestyle, van Rooijen powered to first place in 1:46.48 – again breaking her old Big East and school record of 1:47.29 set at the Open last fall. She also won the 200-yard IM in 2:02.37. The Hurricanes swimming and diving team finished the conference meet in third place on the women’s side with 488 points and in ninth place for the men with 201 points.

DIVING
The University of Miami swept the diving awards at the Big East Championships in Uniondale, New York this weekend. Senior Imre Lengyel was named Big East Most Outstanding Men’s Diver, senior Michelle Davison was named Big East Most Outstanding Women’s Diver and head diving coach Randy Ableman took Big East Men’s and Women’s Diving Coach of the Year honors. Lengyel won the men’s 1-meter competition with 381.30 points and the 3-meter competition with 665.80 points. For the women, Davison won the 1-meter competition with 300.65 points. Head coach Randy Ableman was again honored as the best diving coach in the Big East. He has been named the best women’s coach for the past three seasons and best men’s coach two of the past three seasons. Miami swept all four top places in both the men’s 1-meter and 3-meter competitions this weekend.

MEN’S TENNIS
Miami powered past Western Michigan, 6-1, in men’s tennis action at South Bend, Indiana on Saturday. The No.35 Hurricanes evened their record to 2-2. The Broncos fall to 7-6. In doubles, the duo of junior Andrew Golub and freshman Andrew McDade won 8-5 and seniors Thomas Smid and Jose Lieberman picked up a victory. Freshman Todd Widom and senior Tarik El Bassiouni were defeated 9-7. UM won the doubles point by winning two of the three matches. In singles action, Miami won five of six matches.

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

Miami redshirt senior quarterback Malik Rosier was named to the preseason watch list for the Manning ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...