Culture

‘Queen’ falls off the throne

The eternal battle between good and evil and the endless conflict over a book and its movie counterpart take center stage in the film adaptation of Anne Rice’s novel Queen of the Damned. The battle, it turns out, is visually appealing but lacking in substance.

The film amalgamates plotlines from the second and third installment of Rice’s wildly popular The Vampire Chronicles. In less than two hours, the film follows the rise of the vampire Lestat (Stuart Townsend) from his century long slumber to his controversial tryst with the queen of the vampires, Akasha (Aaliyah).

The first half of the film is shot haphazardly and leaves you with a sense of shock – a shock of how corny the movie is going to be. The clich

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...