Greek Week kicks off at the Rat

The lack of organization for Greek Week 2002 inhibited the fun that could have been had, said members of the Greek community.

“It’s pitifully organized. It was a Greek headache. I will never be a chair again if I can help it. Some parts of Greek Week are really not aces,” said Sigma Phi Epsilon member and chair of Greek Week Jay Wetzel.

Each member was required to sign in and out of the opening ceremonies-which took place last Friday afternoon at the Rathskeller-to get maximum points for their team.

However, no one was monitoring the list and students forged signatures of members not present, making the competition unfair from day one.

Several participants complained about the lack of organization and the fact that only two events of Greek Week were philanthropic-the blood drive and the dance-a-thon, in which participants are required to pay $25 to dance.

About 90 percent of the proceeds go to United Cerebral Palsy [UCP].

Last year, the Greek community raised about $5,000 – about the price of the two 21-day trips to Europe given to the winners of the Greek god and goddess competition.

When asked about the philanthropic aspects of Greek Week at opening ceremonies, a Delta Gamma replied, “I really don’t know much about it. I think there’s a dance-a-thon or something.”

Her sisters came to her rescue and explained that they are supporting the UCP.

“Greek Week develops leadership and helps us to become well rounded individuals. It also promotes unity within the Greek community,” said Kate Devlin, a Delta Gamma.

“It does promote brotherhood. We come together by trying to win,” Wetzel said.

Last Friday, the noise of over 300 sorority and fraternity members packed into the Rathskeller could be heard as far as Eaton Residential College.

The theme was a 1960’s/Austin Powers idea, and the Rat was decorated with beaded curtains, huge psychedelic flower cutouts, and posters claiming quotes like “Zeta is shag-a-delic” and “Do we make you horny, baby?”

The event, scheduled to start at 4 p.m., did not begin until 4:30 p.m., and kicked off with a slide show of pictures of members of the organizations throughout the past year.

Following the slide show, President of Panhellenic Jorge Lima, dressed as Austin Powers, took the microphone and yelled the name of each organization.

Each group, in turn, replied with a cheer, or a loud roar.

As the noise subsided, Lima stated that this year would be the most exciting Greek Week ever because “every Greek organization is participating,” to which the crowd responded with yet another loud cheer.

Each sorority and fraternity was represented at the opening ceremonies- something that has not happened in about 15 years.

“I’m really glad every organization is participating,” said Kappa Kappa Gamma chair Krista Nelson. “It really shows how the Greek community comes together.”

But comes together for what?

Vice-president of Panhellenic Mary Clark, dressed as Austin Powers’s sidekick in a silver and hot pink mini dress, was quoted in the Feb. 22 issue of The Miami Hurricane as saying, “The philanthropic events are worth the most, because that’s what Greek Week is all about.”

However, when a candidate for Greek god was asked what he would change about philanthropic events in Greek life, he answered, “I’d make it more fun and easier.”

The ceremony also consisted of a competition between students for Greek god and goddess.

Each candidate was required to perform a song of their choice, then were awarded points for correctly answering questions on Greek life, philosophy, and humorous topics, like “Who would you rather shag…?”

Music included everything from “Baby Got Back,” with guys dressed as women with large posteriors, to the winning song, the Star Spangled Banner performed in sign language by a Sigma Delta Tau.

The Lambda Chi Alpha representative won the title of Greek god.

The winners of the competition were awarded a 21-day trip to Europe, paid for by the Greek Week committee.

Greek Week continues through Friday, March 1.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...