Greek Week kicks off at the Rat

The lack of organization for Greek Week 2002 inhibited the fun that could have been had, said members of the Greek community.

“It’s pitifully organized. It was a Greek headache. I will never be a chair again if I can help it. Some parts of Greek Week are really not aces,” said Sigma Phi Epsilon member and chair of Greek Week Jay Wetzel.

Each member was required to sign in and out of the opening ceremonies-which took place last Friday afternoon at the Rathskeller-to get maximum points for their team.

However, no one was monitoring the list and students forged signatures of members not present, making the competition unfair from day one.

Several participants complained about the lack of organization and the fact that only two events of Greek Week were philanthropic-the blood drive and the dance-a-thon, in which participants are required to pay $25 to dance.

About 90 percent of the proceeds go to United Cerebral Palsy [UCP].

Last year, the Greek community raised about $5,000 – about the price of the two 21-day trips to Europe given to the winners of the Greek god and goddess competition.

When asked about the philanthropic aspects of Greek Week at opening ceremonies, a Delta Gamma replied, “I really don’t know much about it. I think there’s a dance-a-thon or something.”

Her sisters came to her rescue and explained that they are supporting the UCP.

“Greek Week develops leadership and helps us to become well rounded individuals. It also promotes unity within the Greek community,” said Kate Devlin, a Delta Gamma.

“It does promote brotherhood. We come together by trying to win,” Wetzel said.

Last Friday, the noise of over 300 sorority and fraternity members packed into the Rathskeller could be heard as far as Eaton Residential College.

The theme was a 1960’s/Austin Powers idea, and the Rat was decorated with beaded curtains, huge psychedelic flower cutouts, and posters claiming quotes like “Zeta is shag-a-delic” and “Do we make you horny, baby?”

The event, scheduled to start at 4 p.m., did not begin until 4:30 p.m., and kicked off with a slide show of pictures of members of the organizations throughout the past year.

Following the slide show, President of Panhellenic Jorge Lima, dressed as Austin Powers, took the microphone and yelled the name of each organization.

Each group, in turn, replied with a cheer, or a loud roar.

As the noise subsided, Lima stated that this year would be the most exciting Greek Week ever because “every Greek organization is participating,” to which the crowd responded with yet another loud cheer.

Each sorority and fraternity was represented at the opening ceremonies- something that has not happened in about 15 years.

“I’m really glad every organization is participating,” said Kappa Kappa Gamma chair Krista Nelson. “It really shows how the Greek community comes together.”

But comes together for what?

Vice-president of Panhellenic Mary Clark, dressed as Austin Powers’s sidekick in a silver and hot pink mini dress, was quoted in the Feb. 22 issue of The Miami Hurricane as saying, “The philanthropic events are worth the most, because that’s what Greek Week is all about.”

However, when a candidate for Greek god was asked what he would change about philanthropic events in Greek life, he answered, “I’d make it more fun and easier.”

The ceremony also consisted of a competition between students for Greek god and goddess.

Each candidate was required to perform a song of their choice, then were awarded points for correctly answering questions on Greek life, philosophy, and humorous topics, like “Who would you rather shag…?”

Music included everything from “Baby Got Back,” with guys dressed as women with large posteriors, to the winning song, the Star Spangled Banner performed in sign language by a Sigma Delta Tau.

The Lambda Chi Alpha representative won the title of Greek god.

The winners of the competition were awarded a 21-day trip to Europe, paid for by the Greek Week committee.

Greek Week continues through Friday, March 1.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...