Sports Briefs

Men’s basketball

Dear University of Miami Students,

You have been with us from the start of this run for the NCAA Tourn-ament and for this, the team and I sincerely thank you. It’s been a very dynamic season but we have a challenging road ahead as we enter the home stretch.

The energy and excitement at the Miami Arena has been fantastic this season and with your help, we are 12-1 at home. We play rival Notre Dame this Saturday night and we look forward to the continued support of you and your fellow Hurricanes. Be there as we look to secure a bye in the Big East tournament and a shot at the Big Dance.

Go Canes.

Perry Clark
Head Coach
-Men’s Basketball

VOLLEYBALL

Head coach Nicole Lantagne announced the 2002 Miami volleyball schedule this week. The Hurricanes begin competition in the Big East Conference this fall after competing as an independent last season.
UM will compete in three tournaments to begin the season including marquee matchups against Georgia, Oregon and Florida State. The schedule includes two conference champions (Notre Dame – Big East and FIU-Sun Belt) and three teams that advanced to conference championship games (Stephen F. Austin -Southland, Florida State – ACC, FAU – Atlantic Sun). Coach Lantagne guided a young Miami team to a 17-7 overall record last year in its first season of volleyball since 1981. UM finished the season on an 11-match win streak and compiled a 13-1 home record at the Knight Complex in Coral Gables.

TRACK AND FIELD

Freshman Lauren Williams won the 60- and 200-meter dash titles to earn Most Outstanding Performer honors as the Miami Hurricanes women’s track and field team produced a school-best 106 points for a third place finish at the Big East Conference Men’s Indoor Track & Field Championships at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, New York. Perhaps Kareen Clarke produced the top individual performance by a Hurricane athlete in the triple jump. The senior produced a winning leap of 43 feet, 3 inches (13.18 meters) to earn her third consecutive BIG EAST Indoor title in the event. Sprinters Andre Johnson and Gus Martin raced to individual titles Sunday afternoon to lead the Miami Hurricanes to a seventh-place team finish. Johnson’s 60-meter victory earned in a time of 6.83 seconds. Martin’s victory in the 60-meter high hurdles came in a time of 7.96 seconds.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...