Sports Briefs

Men’s basketball

Dear University of Miami Students,

You have been with us from the start of this run for the NCAA Tourn-ament and for this, the team and I sincerely thank you. It’s been a very dynamic season but we have a challenging road ahead as we enter the home stretch.

The energy and excitement at the Miami Arena has been fantastic this season and with your help, we are 12-1 at home. We play rival Notre Dame this Saturday night and we look forward to the continued support of you and your fellow Hurricanes. Be there as we look to secure a bye in the Big East tournament and a shot at the Big Dance.

Go Canes.

Perry Clark
Head Coach
-Men’s Basketball

VOLLEYBALL

Head coach Nicole Lantagne announced the 2002 Miami volleyball schedule this week. The Hurricanes begin competition in the Big East Conference this fall after competing as an independent last season.
UM will compete in three tournaments to begin the season including marquee matchups against Georgia, Oregon and Florida State. The schedule includes two conference champions (Notre Dame – Big East and FIU-Sun Belt) and three teams that advanced to conference championship games (Stephen F. Austin -Southland, Florida State – ACC, FAU – Atlantic Sun). Coach Lantagne guided a young Miami team to a 17-7 overall record last year in its first season of volleyball since 1981. UM finished the season on an 11-match win streak and compiled a 13-1 home record at the Knight Complex in Coral Gables.

TRACK AND FIELD

Freshman Lauren Williams won the 60- and 200-meter dash titles to earn Most Outstanding Performer honors as the Miami Hurricanes women’s track and field team produced a school-best 106 points for a third place finish at the Big East Conference Men’s Indoor Track & Field Championships at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, New York. Perhaps Kareen Clarke produced the top individual performance by a Hurricane athlete in the triple jump. The senior produced a winning leap of 43 feet, 3 inches (13.18 meters) to earn her third consecutive BIG EAST Indoor title in the event. Sprinters Andre Johnson and Gus Martin raced to individual titles Sunday afternoon to lead the Miami Hurricanes to a seventh-place team finish. Johnson’s 60-meter victory earned in a time of 6.83 seconds. Martin’s victory in the 60-meter high hurdles came in a time of 7.96 seconds.

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

University of Miami head men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric revealed Friday the team's schedu ...