Poor turnout at VP debate

There were many empty seats Thursday night at the Rathskellar as two out of the four candidates showed up to debate issues in the upcoming student government elections.

“I wished this place was filled up – I was trying to make eye contact with people to get my message across, but there was hardly anyone here,” said Vice Presidential candidate Andy Hooper.

Both parties agreed; the main reason for lack of student participation is an even greater lack of communication between the several divisions on campus.

“A greater amount of communication between student government and the student body is needed in order to achieve our goals,” said Vice Presidential candidate Gina Yacone.

Both candidates shared similar objectives.

Yacone and Hooper both opted to increase on-campus apartment security, noting that workers from Papa John’s sometimes use the washer/dryer machines for laundry.

They also plan on promoting awareness and communication towards upcoming campus events, as well as using the Ryder Center as a vehicle to promote campus activity.

Both parties share similarities in their approach to accomplishing their goals. Yacone plans on increasing awareness by handing out monthly flyers, extending Reach-Out-Week [a week in which students, officials, and representatives alike brainstorm for ideas on improving UM], and increasing student voter turnout for the upcoming elections.

Hooper wishes to make a unified Student Government calendar, inclusive of all campus events, activities , and functions for each month.

He also said he wants to promote Reach-Out-Week, but in addition, to hold monthly forums in which representatives from each school can attend to express their concerns.

To further increase awareness, Hooper said he plans on using Channel 13 to bring unity among the dorms as well.

After an hour of debating, the two candidates stepped off the platform, and the crackling of pool balls signaled the return to normalcy at the Rat. The reasons for the absence of the other vice presidential candidates, Justin Levine and Miriam Cortes, went unannounced.

When asked what the general impression of the debates was, one student remarked, “I don’t know man. I came here for the beer.”

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...