Poor turnout at VP debate

There were many empty seats Thursday night at the Rathskellar as two out of the four candidates showed up to debate issues in the upcoming student government elections.

“I wished this place was filled up – I was trying to make eye contact with people to get my message across, but there was hardly anyone here,” said Vice Presidential candidate Andy Hooper.

Both parties agreed; the main reason for lack of student participation is an even greater lack of communication between the several divisions on campus.

“A greater amount of communication between student government and the student body is needed in order to achieve our goals,” said Vice Presidential candidate Gina Yacone.

Both candidates shared similar objectives.

Yacone and Hooper both opted to increase on-campus apartment security, noting that workers from Papa John’s sometimes use the washer/dryer machines for laundry.

They also plan on promoting awareness and communication towards upcoming campus events, as well as using the Ryder Center as a vehicle to promote campus activity.

Both parties share similarities in their approach to accomplishing their goals. Yacone plans on increasing awareness by handing out monthly flyers, extending Reach-Out-Week [a week in which students, officials, and representatives alike brainstorm for ideas on improving UM], and increasing student voter turnout for the upcoming elections.

Hooper wishes to make a unified Student Government calendar, inclusive of all campus events, activities , and functions for each month.

He also said he wants to promote Reach-Out-Week, but in addition, to hold monthly forums in which representatives from each school can attend to express their concerns.

To further increase awareness, Hooper said he plans on using Channel 13 to bring unity among the dorms as well.

After an hour of debating, the two candidates stepped off the platform, and the crackling of pool balls signaled the return to normalcy at the Rat. The reasons for the absence of the other vice presidential candidates, Justin Levine and Miriam Cortes, went unannounced.

When asked what the general impression of the debates was, one student remarked, “I don’t know man. I came here for the beer.”

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...

The Canes head to the ACC Baseball Championship ranked in the top 20 in every major poll. ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team will once again represent her country ...