Brothers’ Appreciation Day honors role models

It was the lyrics from Angie Stone’s song, “Brotha,” that inspired Sigma Gamma Rho president, Alecia Gail Gray, to initiate the first Brothers’ Appreciation Day at the University of Miami.

Sponsored by the sorority, Brothers’ Appreciation Day is centered around an essay contest that seeks nominations for the Sigma Gamma Rho Man of the Year.

“This is a general celebration where we appreciate, recognize, and acknowledge significant black men in our lives,” Gray said.

Any black male affiliated with the University may be nominated, she said, and the nominator is required to write a one-page essay about how the subject is a positive role model.

Stephanie Floris, 18, freshman, heard about the contest at a United Black Students meeting and nominated a close friend.

“He helped me to stay focused and get through my freshman year,” Floris said. “Plus, he has accomplished so much academically.”

Karla Cato, 19, sophomore, said she was not planning to make a nomination this year, but that if she did, it would be to honor Daniel Best, advisor for the business fraternity, Delta Sigma Pi.

Best, now a data control clerk in the Office of Financial Assistance, was the first minority to join the chapter when he was a student at UM.

“He is very inspirational and takes risks in life,” Cato said. “He was the first to suggest allowing women to join the fraternity.”

The winner will be announced at the appreciation day ceremony at 7:22 p.m. next Tuesday at the Rathskeller, Gray said.

The black sorority uses 22, she added, because it was founded in 1922.

Graduate members of the Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority will judge the essays anonymously.

Members of the UM chapter will not take part or have any influence on the judging, Gray said.

The grand prize for the contest is dinner for two at the Cheesecake Factory; two movie tickets for second place; and a Blockbuster Video gift certificate for third place.

The sorority will provide the prizes from fundraisers that the members have previously sponsored.

This included a $12 singing Valentine, whereby the sorority sisters serenaded the recipient and presented him or her with a rose and a balloon. A picture, capturing the person’s expression, was then delivered to the person who purchased the Valentine.

Gray, a senior majoring in business management and organization, said she hopes this will be the first of many Brothers’ Appreciation Days.

“It is something people will appreciate and enjoy,” Gray said, “and I hope it turns into an annual event.”

Today is the last day that nominations will be accepted. Applications are available in the United Black Students office, located in the University Center, Room 215.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...