Sports Briefs

WOMEN’S TRACK
A school record performance in the pentathlon by freshman Amber Williams and a strong showing by a trio of athletes in the long jump led the University of Miami women’s indoor track and field team to third place in the team standings in the first day of the BIG EAST Conference Indoor Track & Field Championships at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, New York. The Hurricanes scored 24 points on the first day of the two-day competition and are in good shape to contend for the school’s first indoor conference championship. The long jump was the most productive event for Miami on Saturday as the Hurricanes collected 16 points led by a second-place showing by Gina Harris. Kareen Clarke placed third with a best of 20-3 1/2 (6.18m) Both Harris and Clarke improved their provisional qualifying marks for the upcoming NCAA Indoor Championships. In the pentathlon, Williams scored 3,511 points to shatter the old mark of 3,424 by Robin Beecham in 1997. The school-record total was good for a second-place finish behind Seton Hall’s Bridgette Ingram who took the title with 3,593 points, giving Miami eight points in the team standings.

MEN’S TRACK
The University of Miami men’s indoor track and field team showed its depth in the sprints as the Hurricanes qualified a quintet of sprinters to Sunday’s finals in the 60- and 200-meter dashes in the first day of the BIG EAST Conference Men’s Indoor Track & Field Championships at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, New York. Three Hurricanes qualified for the final of the 60-meter dash as Andre Johnson won his qualifying heat in a personal-best time of 6.81 seconds, the fastest qualifying time of the nine finalists set to go on Sunday. Joining Johnson in the final will be teammates Willis McGahee, Roscoe Parrish and Tanard Davis. Sprinters Gus Martin and Aaron Moser advanced in the 200-meter dash with Martin qualifying for finals in two sprinting events, the 200 and the 60-meter high hurdles. Senior Aaron Moser also advanced to the hurdles final with a qualifying time of 8.11. Moser scored Miami’s only point of Saturday’s competition with an eighth-place finish in the long jump with a leap of 21 feet, 4 1/4 inches (6.81 meters).

WOMEN’S TENNIS
The No. 28 University of Miami women’s tennis team extends its winning streak to five with an upset victory over No. 26 Florida International, 6-1, Wednesday, Feb. 13 at the University Park tennis courts on the FIU campus. The Hurricanes remain undefeated this season at 5-0, while the Golden Panthers fall to 5-2. Miami took two-of-three doubles matches giving them the one point advantage entering singles competition. The Hurricanes then dominated in singles play winning five-of-six matches. At No.1 singles No. 69 Mari Toro defeated Anneliese Rose in straight sets, 7-6, 6-1. Marcy Hora defeated Agnes Buronyi, 6-1, 6-3, at the No. 2 position. Mei Ly gave FIU their only singles match win of the day defeating UM’s Staci Stevens, 7-5, 6-2, at No. 3 singles. At No. 4 singles Sihem Bennacer cruised past Nazly Elsawaf with a 6-1, 6-2, straight-set victory.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...