News Briefs and Campus Calendar

THE #1 METHOD TO SECURE A GREAT JOB: NETWORKING!
The University of Miami SPRING CAREER & INTERNSHIP EXPO 2002 is scheduled to take place in the Smathers Student Wellness Center on February 21, 11AM – 4PM. Representatives from a wide variety of companies and organizations will be on campus to share employment and internship opportunities to UM students and alumni. In order to prepare for the event, students are urged to visit the Toppel Career Center to have their resume critiqued and to attend a “MAXIMIZING YOUR EXPO EXPERIENCE” workshop. Please visit http://www.miami.edu/careerexpo/

COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING CELEBRATES NATIONAL ENGINEERS WEEK
The College of Engineering, in conjunction with the National Society of Professional Engineers, kicks off National Engineers Week. Also known as E-Week, the annual event is celebrated by thousands of engineers, engineering students, teachers, and government and business leaders committed to increasing the public awareness and appreciation of the engineering profession. The College of Engineering and the Engineering Advisory Board have planned various activities to get the university community involved, including the M. Lewis Temares Entrepreneurship Forum which is tomorrow. For more information on the forum, contact Andria Hanley at 305-284-2404 or mailto:ahanley@miami.edu or visit:
http://www.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1,1770,10254-1;12171-3,00.html.

Parking and Transportation
With an important enhancement of the easy system, Parking & Transportation Services announces that as of Friday March 1,2002, Commuter and Residential students may apply for current standard spring term parking permits via EASY. For more information contact David Voorhees at 305-689-5021.

Black Awareness Month

today
Caribbean Day

ISUM Forum at 6p.m. :Hip-Hop & Islam”.

CAC film, “Monster’s Inc”.

Candlelight Vigil, today at 7pm at the Rock-join us for a quiet moment of reflection upon the lives of those living with aids, those we have lost to aids, and to renew a sense of advocacy and activism.

The Department of Psychology is hosting its second annual Community Lecture Series: Psychology in Film. The next film and discussion will be Tuesday’s with Morrie at the Storer Auditorium in the Business School. For more information call Undergraduate Academic Services for Psychology at 305-284-3303 or visit www.psy.miami.edu.

The deadline for the Edward T. Foote II Award for Excellence in Student Involvement has been extended until today. The award recognizes one outstanding senior at UM who has best demonstrated exemplary involvement, leadership and achievement in her or his college experience. For award criteria information or to submit a nomination, contact Renee Dickens Callan at 305-284-6399.

Greek Week: Blood Drive in UC Flamingo Ballrooms from noon to 8p.m..

Wed 20th Feb
Comedian at the Rathskeller at 9pm.

A week for Life will host Jeanne White, the mother of Ryan White who became the face of AIDS in the 1980’s as one of the earliest reported child cases of the disease. Students, faculty and staff are invited to come and hear her speak today at the Wesley Foundation at 8pm.

The 1st Annual MBA & Law Day will be held today from 11a.m.-3p.m at UC 1st floor. All students interested in an MBA program or Law School should make plans to attend.

BAM: Miss Black & Gold at 7p.m. at Clarke recital Hall.

Thurs 21st Feb
African Students Union (ASU); Come learn about African culture, dances, and songs. Open to all UM students. Meetings are every other Friday in UC classrooms. Next meeting will be today in UC233. For more information contact Alta Louissaint at 305-689-9699.

Coffee House. The Wesley Foundation is the place to be every Thursday night. Come and enjoy live bands, free coffee, and a relaxing atmosphere. Tonight the Coffee House will be welcoming the wonderful jazz combo, “Apple Juice” to the stage. So take a study-break from 9-11p.m. on Thursday nights at the Coffee House.

Amnesty International: Interested in Civil Rights and Human Rights? Join Amnesty International today and make a difference. Our next general meeting will be today in UC room 233. Looking forward to seeing you there! For more information call Alta L at 305-689-9699.

Delta Sigma Pi; One of the Nations Largest Professional Business Fraternity is sponsoring a T-Spot (Thursday night party) at the Rathskeller tonight from 9p.m.-12a.m..

Toppel Career and Internship Expo from 11a.m.-4p.m. at the Wellness Center.

Communication Week & Greek Week

Fri 22nd Feb
Opening ceremonies for Greek Week at the Rathskeller from 4-8p.m.

Friday Groove from 11:30a.m.-1p.m.; “Tower of Power Ensemble”

Happy Hour at the Rat with a DJ from 4:30-8p.m.

African Students Association will have their General Meetings every other Friday for all students interested in being apart of their organization. Come learn about African Culture. Next meeting is today at 5p.m. in the UC room 241.

BAM’s “Hot on the Block” at Eaton Residential College from 3-5p.m.. Alumni and students are invited to participate in this stimulating, interactive discussion on the current issues affecting Black students, past and present.

BAM; Keynote Address: “Constructing Race: Unity in the ‘Black’ Community” featuring Dr. Oscar Dathorne, MBA/MPA ’83 at the Storer Auditorium. A Jazz reception will follow.

BAM; Comedy Jam. After keynote speaker, and jazz reception, kick back and relax at the Rathskeller with an evening of entertainment and laughs from 10p.m.-12a.m. .

Life Party tonight at 10p.m. at the Rathskeller-come party! They are celebrating Life! There will be music,
food, and fun

Miami Hot: Glass Studio Workshop and Public Lecture Series. You are invited to attend a lecture by Karen Willenbrink a prominent American Glass Artist from Mt. Vernon, Washington tonight at 7p.m. at the Lowe Art Museum. RSVP by Feb 15 at 305-284-2542.

Sat 23rd Feb
Athletic Department and Intramurals; Papa John is sponsoring a Celebrity two-ball competition at the Miami Arena today during the men’s basketball game against Notre Dame. Participation is free to all UM students and faculty. Three contestants will be paired with a local celebrity. For more information call Derek Stocker at 305-284-2943.