Grads part of UM

When I first arrived here as a graduate student about four years ago, I spent the first two years adjusting to my new life and submerged myself in the graduate student way of life-which meant I spent most of my time shuttling between my house, classes and the library.

It wasn’t until much later that I discovered the University of Miami had another population, an undergraduate population, and host of student groups that offered a slew of celebrations, parties, and cultural events. While I blame myself a little for taking that long to find out, I blame the system much more.

The administration tends to segregate the undergraduate and graduate students. Apparently, the official position is that grads and undergrads don’t mix-or that they shouldn’t. On-campus activities seem to be tailored for each individual population-and primarily the undergraduate population-not for the student population as a whole. Grad students aren’t even expected (or shouldn’t, it seems) to participate in Homecoming, International Week, or be on the executive boards of UM student organizations, experiences that not only enrich our college life but create a sense of community.

No matter how many student organizations I’m part of, I’ll never have a say on how the university treats my organization. Grad students don’t have a say in the direction of the school paper because our activity fee doesn’t fund it. Yet, we read it.

It may be because graduate students, which total about 3,055 (20 percent of the student body), pay about $50 less of the so-called university fee, which is the quota that funds the movie screenings, student groups, festivals, and other activities. But it may be time, then, to rethink this policy.

Some may argue that graduate students lead different lives, that we are indifferent to what goes on here and that we are too busy to get involved. This may be true, but much of the apathy is fostered by the university’s disregard for our participation on this campus. We too belong to student groups and contribute to the activities that they offer, and are affected by the decisions that are made within these groups. We too should have a more active role, if we ever want to feel part of them.

Maybe it’s time for the student governments on campus to realize that we can work better by interacting more, no matter at what level. And, with student government elections here, this might be just the time for it.

Daniel Paskin is a doctoral student in the School of International Studies.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...