Yearbook staff decides to publish book next fall

In order to produce a better final product, the Ibis yearbook staff has pushed back the publication and distribution of its 2001-2002 edition.
The Ibis, usually distributed to University of Miami students in late April or early May, is now slated to appear in early September of 2002.
“This is a yearbook,” said Mark Puskarich, editor of the Ibis. “It’s supposed to cover the events of the year. It’s not going to be a six-month-book, as it has been in the past.”
“With a fall deadline we get more spring activities,” said Randy Stano, editorial advisor to the Ibis. “In particular, we can cover Funday, Religion Week, graduation, spring break and alternate spring break, news events that affect the campus in the spring and a complete scoreboard for the sports teams-which will be the first time that’s been done in, I think, 22 years.”
The yearbook will be distributed after Labor Day in the fall, just after Greek Recruitment for fall 2002, Stano said.
“They asked us to wait until after rush,” Stano said, “so that rushees wouldn’t look to find out what fraternities and sororities certain people were in.”
“We’ve included all the Greeks this year,” Stano said. “They hadn’t all been included in the last few years.”
Students around campus do not seem to mind waiting the extra few months for a better yearbook.
“I don’t mind waiting for the fall as long as they mail it to me,” said Joanna Wahl, a Biology student who graduated in December.
“I guess it’s a good idea,” said Karen Sloan, a senior majoring in journalism. “They can cover baseball if they win another National Championship. If the book is more complete, it’s okay.”
In the future, the Ibis staff plans to release the book in the fall again, Stano said.
“A lot of groups around campus are very active in the fall so we focus in on them and it’s not fair to the other groups we miss out on,” Puskarich said.
The 2001-2002 Ibis will have twice as many images as last year’s edition and for the first time will include underclassmen, Stano said.
The original submission deadline would have been Feb. 19, but with the changes, the new deadline will not be until after finals.
“This book will be very good-more images, more complete cutlines, and more text,” Stano said.
Seniors will have an opportunity to pick up a copy of the annual by registering online at www.miami.edu/ibis.
If registered before May 1, the book will be shipped free of charge directly from the printers.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...