Talent show offers diversity

“Come on! Give me a little more hype here!” said Ian Adams, United Black Students [UBS] Vice-President and the master of ceremonies for the third Annual 2002 Black Awareness Month [BAM] talent show.

The annual event is part of the BAM festivities and incorporated its theme NEXUS, allowing multicultural performers.

There was a mix of jazz, pop, rap and soul.

“We tried to have a variety of acts and diverse talents,” said Kiaira Bell, chairperson of the event.

A jazz group named Innovation won $500 cash for placing first in the competition.

The group is a classic mix of bass guitar, piano, drums, and trumpet.

“It is a nice reward after hard and creative work and it’s nice to have jazz appreciated,” said Quincy Garner, the trumpeteer for the band.

The second prize of $300 went to Unison, an all-boy band that composes, arranges, and produces their own music.

Hasina Brinson and Alvin Jackson won third prize with their rendition of pop singer Mariah Carey’s “One Sweet Day.”

Last year’s winner Serina Guirantes did not place in this competition, but still won the crowd over with her vocal performance of Brotha, complete with a slide show of prominent Black leaders in the background.

“Serina is someone who always goes past the call of duty, she sings, writes, and produces,” Jackson said.

Faculty members served as judges for the show.

“It was very hard to judge, as there was a lot of talent. It was very classy,” said Heather Lancin, a judge.

The turnout was less than expected and Lancin hopes for a larger audience next year.

The organizers attributed it to being a Monday night and many people having late classes.

“I was pleased with the turnout and since it was an intimate place, it didn’t seem too bad,” said Farrah Fontaine, UBS event committee member.

The talent show planning and practices had been going on since October.

The organizers said the event was as good as hoped for.

“I am so proud. It blew me away and I am very pleased with the way the show turned out. The event came together beautifully,” Fontaine said.

There were nine acts, and the audience enjoyed a variety of musical instruments and styles.

” It was very entertaining,” said Chris Whiteman, a junior at the School of Music.

“We definitely didn’t disappoint the audience,” Bell said.

There was also an appearance by “Baby Usher” as Adams introduced Rodney Rouzard. He performed the hit song, U got it bad, by Usher.

“It was like watching the video all over again,” Adams said.

There was also a quiz at the end of the show, where the contestants were randomly picked from the audience.

The questions were based on prominent black leaders and the winner, Gilbert D. Cuffy, won a book about black history.

The money raised from the event will be used to produce similar events for United Black Students organization.

A fashion show is planned for tonight, and the Royal Heritage Ball is set for Saturday.

The ball is a black tie affair with the theme, Escape The Chocolate City.

Students can pick up flyers and tickets for upcoming events at the UBS office in the UC or contact them at 305-284-2583.

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

It’s a rule Miami Hurricanes freshman defensive tackle Nesta Silvera knew about already. But in no w ...

A quick update from University of Miami football practice No. 8, two days after the first fall scrim ...

That dangerous University of Miami defense that dominated last season? Still dominating — the first- ...

Please don’t call DeeJay Dallas a running back. On second thought, you can call him a running back, ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...