Talent show offers diversity

“Come on! Give me a little more hype here!” said Ian Adams, United Black Students [UBS] Vice-President and the master of ceremonies for the third Annual 2002 Black Awareness Month [BAM] talent show.

The annual event is part of the BAM festivities and incorporated its theme NEXUS, allowing multicultural performers.

There was a mix of jazz, pop, rap and soul.

“We tried to have a variety of acts and diverse talents,” said Kiaira Bell, chairperson of the event.

A jazz group named Innovation won $500 cash for placing first in the competition.

The group is a classic mix of bass guitar, piano, drums, and trumpet.

“It is a nice reward after hard and creative work and it’s nice to have jazz appreciated,” said Quincy Garner, the trumpeteer for the band.

The second prize of $300 went to Unison, an all-boy band that composes, arranges, and produces their own music.

Hasina Brinson and Alvin Jackson won third prize with their rendition of pop singer Mariah Carey’s “One Sweet Day.”

Last year’s winner Serina Guirantes did not place in this competition, but still won the crowd over with her vocal performance of Brotha, complete with a slide show of prominent Black leaders in the background.

“Serina is someone who always goes past the call of duty, she sings, writes, and produces,” Jackson said.

Faculty members served as judges for the show.

“It was very hard to judge, as there was a lot of talent. It was very classy,” said Heather Lancin, a judge.

The turnout was less than expected and Lancin hopes for a larger audience next year.

The organizers attributed it to being a Monday night and many people having late classes.

“I was pleased with the turnout and since it was an intimate place, it didn’t seem too bad,” said Farrah Fontaine, UBS event committee member.

The talent show planning and practices had been going on since October.

The organizers said the event was as good as hoped for.

“I am so proud. It blew me away and I am very pleased with the way the show turned out. The event came together beautifully,” Fontaine said.

There were nine acts, and the audience enjoyed a variety of musical instruments and styles.

” It was very entertaining,” said Chris Whiteman, a junior at the School of Music.

“We definitely didn’t disappoint the audience,” Bell said.

There was also an appearance by “Baby Usher” as Adams introduced Rodney Rouzard. He performed the hit song, U got it bad, by Usher.

“It was like watching the video all over again,” Adams said.

There was also a quiz at the end of the show, where the contestants were randomly picked from the audience.

The questions were based on prominent black leaders and the winner, Gilbert D. Cuffy, won a book about black history.

The money raised from the event will be used to produce similar events for United Black Students organization.

A fashion show is planned for tonight, and the Royal Heritage Ball is set for Saturday.

The ball is a black tie affair with the theme, Escape The Chocolate City.

Students can pick up flyers and tickets for upcoming events at the UBS office in the UC or contact them at 305-284-2583.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...