Student to intern with the Kennedys

UM junior Mary Clark was recently awarded a summer internship in Washington, D.C. to work on the campaign team for U.S. Senate candidate Mark Kennedy Shriver.

Only twenty students from the United States are awarded this internship.

Clark is double majoring in history and political science, with a goal to attend law school. Clark says she is very familiar with the Kennedy family.

“I love the Kennedys,” she said. “I am really looking forward to working directly with a member of that family.”

Clark will be performing numerous publicity duties for the campaign team, including making phone calls and going door-to-door with Shriver.

Clark will stay for free with democratic supporters who have opened their homes to interns in order to help the campaign.

There is no actual pay, but Clark said she does not mind.

“The experience is worth more than any amount of money they could offer me,” she says.

Clark got the internship only with UM’s help, she said.

“I wouldn’t even have known about the internship opportunity if I hadn’t gotten an e-mail about it from the University,” she said. She applied for the internship online after reading about it in a school-wide e-mail.

Gregory Singleton, Assistant Dean of Students, wrote her a recommendation.

“I’m the only reason she got the internship!” Singleton joked. “No, really, Mary has all the characteristics needed for a project like this, and lots of leadership experience. I had nothing but positive things to say about her.”

Clark said the real reason she got the internship was because of the leadership skills she obtained while at UM.

She is a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, current vice-president of Panhellenic, co-chair of Greek Week, and has served on UM’s Senate.

“Mary is a proven leader in the Greek community. In addition, she is an outstanding student leader,” Singleton said.

These activities indicate that Clark possesses the exact qualities needed for this kind of internship: public relations skills, a knowledge of politics and law, and a good work ethic, Clark said.

“I owe it all to UM,” she said. “My professors, friends, and older student role models helped me develop my leadership skills in so many ways.”

Clark said she especially admires Jose “Pepi” Diaz, president of UM student government.

“Pepi is such a great role model. He is involved in everything and does it all well,” Clark said.

Diaz was accepted early admission to Columbia law school, which is also Clark’s graduate school of choice.

“I’m hoping this internship will give me the leading edge when I’m applying to grad school,” she said.

Clark plans to study intellectual property, or copyright law. She will begin her internship in May.

The University of Miami has joined forces with a national collaborative to help raise awareness and ...

Political scientist Calla Hummel, who was in Bolivia during its flawed election, shares her insights ...

University of Miami Frost School of Music alumni are recognized on Latin music’s biggest night—the 2 ...

A new course is providing students a primer on planning the Super Bowl, one of the biggest events of ...

A week full of spirit, friendly competition and ’Canes pride was on display during Homecoming and Al ...

It started as a large, plain white wall. It's become a conversation piece. ...

The Hurricanes continue their non-conference homestand on Sunday, November 17 when they host the IUP ...

Miami volleyball forced its third straight five-set match on Friday against NC State, but fell short ...

Dylan Sykes and Emma Langlois, leaders of the Miami cross county program, concluded the 2019 season ...

Following a win in its first road game of the season, the Miami men's basketball team will resu ...