Sports Briefs

SWIMMING
Freshman Katalin Ferenzci won the 100-yard backstroke in 57.45 seconds, breaking the school record and leading the UM women to victory over Indian River Community College in Ft. Pierce, Florida. The Miami women won 139-100 while the UM men’s team lost 94-54. Ferenzci’s mark was .13 of a second faster than Amey Bosseler’s previous record of 57.58. The freshman from Hungary also won the 200-yard IM with a time of 2:08.10. Freshman Mary Carriere set the team’s fastest time this season in the 1650-yard freestyle at 18:06.05. Other first-place finishes for the Hurricanes included sophomore Courtney Caples in the 100-yard breast (1:05.82) and sophomore Manon van Rooijen in the 100-yard freestyle (51.00) and 200-yard freestyle (1:51.26). For the Miami men, juniors Kevin Kerrick and Ryan Rykaczewski set the team’s fastest times this season at the meet. Kerrick won the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:42.58 while Rykaczewski took the 200-yard fly with a time of 1:54.75.

DIVING
The Miami men’s and women’s diving team dominated the open competition of the All-Star Diving Invitational in Orlando on Saturday and Sunday. Sophomore Michelle Davison won the women’s 3-meter event with a score of 500.4 topping a field of 26 competitors. She was followed by fellow teammates Katie Beth Bryant in third place (462.35) and Melanie Rinaldi in fifth (439). In the women’s 1-meter competition, Davison was second with a score of 249.45 while Rinaldi finished third (242.4) and Bryant fourth (240.9). Senior Imre Lengyel captured first place in the men’s 3-meter event with a score of 666.55 over 24 competitors as freshman Miguel Velazquiz finished third (618.70), junior Kyle Prandi fourth (616.65) and senior Stefan Ahrnes fifth (608). Lengyel finished second in the 1-meter with a score of 364.75 with Ahrens third (360.35), Prandi fifth (332.4) and Velazquez sixth (305.9).

WOMEN’S GOLF
University of Miami freshman Tina Miller (Miami, Fla.) shot a 148 and finished tied for sixth place at the UCF Invitational at the Stoneybrook Country Club in Orlando on Tuesday. Miller shot 75 in the opening round and 73 in the final round to finish four over par and tied with Katie Allison of Winthrop. Following Miller, other top Hurricane scores included sophomore Camilla Hilland with 151 in a tie for 11th and sophomore Jazmin Cataldo with 155 in a tie for 23rd.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...