Sports Briefs

SWIMMING
Freshman Katalin Ferenzci won the 100-yard backstroke in 57.45 seconds, breaking the school record and leading the UM women to victory over Indian River Community College in Ft. Pierce, Florida. The Miami women won 139-100 while the UM men’s team lost 94-54. Ferenzci’s mark was .13 of a second faster than Amey Bosseler’s previous record of 57.58. The freshman from Hungary also won the 200-yard IM with a time of 2:08.10. Freshman Mary Carriere set the team’s fastest time this season in the 1650-yard freestyle at 18:06.05. Other first-place finishes for the Hurricanes included sophomore Courtney Caples in the 100-yard breast (1:05.82) and sophomore Manon van Rooijen in the 100-yard freestyle (51.00) and 200-yard freestyle (1:51.26). For the Miami men, juniors Kevin Kerrick and Ryan Rykaczewski set the team’s fastest times this season at the meet. Kerrick won the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:42.58 while Rykaczewski took the 200-yard fly with a time of 1:54.75.

DIVING
The Miami men’s and women’s diving team dominated the open competition of the All-Star Diving Invitational in Orlando on Saturday and Sunday. Sophomore Michelle Davison won the women’s 3-meter event with a score of 500.4 topping a field of 26 competitors. She was followed by fellow teammates Katie Beth Bryant in third place (462.35) and Melanie Rinaldi in fifth (439). In the women’s 1-meter competition, Davison was second with a score of 249.45 while Rinaldi finished third (242.4) and Bryant fourth (240.9). Senior Imre Lengyel captured first place in the men’s 3-meter event with a score of 666.55 over 24 competitors as freshman Miguel Velazquiz finished third (618.70), junior Kyle Prandi fourth (616.65) and senior Stefan Ahrnes fifth (608). Lengyel finished second in the 1-meter with a score of 364.75 with Ahrens third (360.35), Prandi fifth (332.4) and Velazquez sixth (305.9).

WOMEN’S GOLF
University of Miami freshman Tina Miller (Miami, Fla.) shot a 148 and finished tied for sixth place at the UCF Invitational at the Stoneybrook Country Club in Orlando on Tuesday. Miller shot 75 in the opening round and 73 in the final round to finish four over par and tied with Katie Allison of Winthrop. Following Miller, other top Hurricane scores included sophomore Camilla Hilland with 151 in a tie for 11th and sophomore Jazmin Cataldo with 155 in a tie for 23rd.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...