Problems delay Ryder Center opening

As the jumble of concrete and steel on the east side of campus finally begins to resemble what will soon be UM’s new athletic center, minor problems in construction cause a minor delay in scheduling.

According to Mark Pray, Assistant Athletic Director for Communications, problems with attaining steel for the installation of the roof of the Ryder Center have caused delays in the work schedule of the construction crew.

“There are going to be things that come up,” Pray said, explaining that small problems are routine with large projects.

“[The lack of steel is] slowing the roof being put on in its entirety,” Pray said, “but it will not really have any effect on the total project.”

The target date for the opening of the Ryder Center was scheduled for fall 2002, but the date has been postponed until late this year or early 2003, Pray said.

The Ryder Center may not be finished in time to host the beginning of the Men and Women’s 2002-03 basketball seasons as they begin in November.

Pray said the future home of Hurricane Basketball will definitely be ready before the end of the season though.

Although the construction has come a long way since it first began in April 2001, many more adjustments need to be made.

Workers will finish other projects while waiting on delays in the roofing process, Pray said.

The Ryder Center, slated to be the future centerpiece of the campus and a valuable link between the University of Miami and the South Florida community, will be the first sports arena located on campus.

In addition to hosting home basketball games, the center will be used for academic and community

events.

With a total area of 196, 800 square feet, the Ryder Center will offer 7,000 seats, 1,000 of which will be available for students with hopes of attracting more student interest in both men and women’s basketball in upcoming seasons.

After years of traveling downtown to the Miami Arena for basketball games, the Ryder Center will provide the University with one of the top five facilities in the nation and a place for the Hurricane Basketball program to finally call home.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...