Problems delay Ryder Center opening

As the jumble of concrete and steel on the east side of campus finally begins to resemble what will soon be UM’s new athletic center, minor problems in construction cause a minor delay in scheduling.

According to Mark Pray, Assistant Athletic Director for Communications, problems with attaining steel for the installation of the roof of the Ryder Center have caused delays in the work schedule of the construction crew.

“There are going to be things that come up,” Pray said, explaining that small problems are routine with large projects.

“[The lack of steel is] slowing the roof being put on in its entirety,” Pray said, “but it will not really have any effect on the total project.”

The target date for the opening of the Ryder Center was scheduled for fall 2002, but the date has been postponed until late this year or early 2003, Pray said.

The Ryder Center may not be finished in time to host the beginning of the Men and Women’s 2002-03 basketball seasons as they begin in November.

Pray said the future home of Hurricane Basketball will definitely be ready before the end of the season though.

Although the construction has come a long way since it first began in April 2001, many more adjustments need to be made.

Workers will finish other projects while waiting on delays in the roofing process, Pray said.

The Ryder Center, slated to be the future centerpiece of the campus and a valuable link between the University of Miami and the South Florida community, will be the first sports arena located on campus.

In addition to hosting home basketball games, the center will be used for academic and community

events.

With a total area of 196, 800 square feet, the Ryder Center will offer 7,000 seats, 1,000 of which will be available for students with hopes of attracting more student interest in both men and women’s basketball in upcoming seasons.

After years of traveling downtown to the Miami Arena for basketball games, the Ryder Center will provide the University with one of the top five facilities in the nation and a place for the Hurricane Basketball program to finally call home.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...