Problems delay Ryder Center opening

As the jumble of concrete and steel on the east side of campus finally begins to resemble what will soon be UM’s new athletic center, minor problems in construction cause a minor delay in scheduling.

According to Mark Pray, Assistant Athletic Director for Communications, problems with attaining steel for the installation of the roof of the Ryder Center have caused delays in the work schedule of the construction crew.

“There are going to be things that come up,” Pray said, explaining that small problems are routine with large projects.

“[The lack of steel is] slowing the roof being put on in its entirety,” Pray said, “but it will not really have any effect on the total project.”

The target date for the opening of the Ryder Center was scheduled for fall 2002, but the date has been postponed until late this year or early 2003, Pray said.

The Ryder Center may not be finished in time to host the beginning of the Men and Women’s 2002-03 basketball seasons as they begin in November.

Pray said the future home of Hurricane Basketball will definitely be ready before the end of the season though.

Although the construction has come a long way since it first began in April 2001, many more adjustments need to be made.

Workers will finish other projects while waiting on delays in the roofing process, Pray said.

The Ryder Center, slated to be the future centerpiece of the campus and a valuable link between the University of Miami and the South Florida community, will be the first sports arena located on campus.

In addition to hosting home basketball games, the center will be used for academic and community

events.

With a total area of 196, 800 square feet, the Ryder Center will offer 7,000 seats, 1,000 of which will be available for students with hopes of attracting more student interest in both men and women’s basketball in upcoming seasons.

After years of traveling downtown to the Miami Arena for basketball games, the Ryder Center will provide the University with one of the top five facilities in the nation and a place for the Hurricane Basketball program to finally call home.

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...